potting mix for Yucca banana split

Mr List

potting mix for Yucca banana split

Post by Mr List »

yucca recurvifolia banana split.

got a couple of these from B&Q today.
i have loved the look of them since i first saw them but i managed to stop myself from buying them until today :roll: :lol:

i think these need a free draining mix or maybe a gritty mix?

can anybody suggest a potting mix for these plants (yucca recurvifolia)
i have B&Q mp compost and perlite in stock, will i need anything else?
Mr List

Re: potting mix for Yucca banana split

Post by Mr List »

errmm ...help? :(

any yucca experts on here?

will 50/50 perlite and mp compost be ok?
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

Well for my cacti I use
1 part compost
1 part horticultural grit
1 part perlite

But for yuccas I'd tend to be a bit more generous with the organic matter.

So perhaps 25% perlite 25% grit and 50% compost would be a good combination.

I'd pot them into un-glazed terracotta pots and put some pebbles or crocs at the bottom.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

what's the difference between grit and perlite?

you cant get hort grit anywhere around here id there a suitable substitute?
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

Ken, I don't grow that particular yucca, but the ones i have got are planted in 75% grit/gravel with the other 25% good potting compost.

I think you should be Ok as long as it free draining mate icon_thumleft
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

musabasjoos wrote:Ken, I don't grow that particular yucca, but the ones i have got are planted in 75% grit/gravel with the other 25% good potting compost.

I do agree that drainage is important, but you don't want to put the kibosh on good growth rates. I would certainly put stones in the bottom of the container and depending on how much rainfall you have in your area adjust accordingly. But as I live in the driest part of the country I would never have less than a 50% compost 50% grit and perlite mix. Especially for Yuccas, now with Cacti thats different.
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

Mr List wrote:what's the difference between grit and perlite?

you cant get hort grit anywhere around here id there a suitable substitute?
If you can get fine gravel the 3-5mm stuff that'd do. But if not you'll just have to go with a 50/50 compost and perlite mix, as I said in the previous post adjust accordingly if you have alot of rainfall locally.
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

Essex Ross wrote:
musabasjoos wrote:Ken, I don't grow that particular yucca, but the ones i have got are planted in 75% grit/gravel with the other 25% good potting compost.

I do agree that drainage is important, but you don't want to put the kibosh on good growth rates. I would certainly put stones in the bottom of the container and depending on how much rainfall you have in your area adjust accordingly. But as I live in the driest part of the country I would never have less than a 50% compost 50% grit and perlite mix. Especially for Yuccas, now with Cacti thats different.
Ross, I agree with your points. Regarding rainfall, i am in one of the wettest parts of England, that why i move towards the increased drainage.

I tend to apply a chicken poo dressing to replace the lack of compost which tends to work for Me.
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

musabasjoos wrote: Ross, I agree with your points. Regarding rainfall, i am in one of the wettest parts of England, that why i move towards the increased drainage.

I tend to apply a chicken poo dressing to replace the lack of compost which tends to work for Me.
I'm glad you mentioned that Darren, as this is exactly why I can have such a headache advising on potting mixes.

To Mr List, there is no one size fits all formula, as we've been saying throughout this thread. You have to take into account your local conditions, like how often does it rain?, how heavy is it? Will my plants dry out quickly enough to stop them waterlogging in autumn/winter?

If you live in a high rainfall area then you must err on the side of caution, afterall you can always add more with the watering can.

However I still stand by what I said, personally for my yuccas I would never have less than 50% compost, but like I said living in the driest part of the country this works well for me.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

well it is wet here all year round.

i plan to move the pots close to the house walls in winter for protection from cold and that should make a little bit of a rain shadow too.

i dont understand what is different between perlite and grit.
does perlite hold some moisture?

i have value decorative round stone that i use to put in the bottom of pots (it is about inch big)
if i smashed some of that up with a hammer so it was 5mm to 10mm big would that be ok to use?
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

Mr List wrote:well it is wet here all year round.

i plan to move the pots close to the house walls in winter for protection from cold and that should make a little bit of a rain shadow too.

i dont understand what is different between perlite and grit.
does perlite hold some moisture?

i have value decorative round stone that i use to put in the bottom of pots (it is about inch big)
if i smashed some of that up with a hammer so it was 5mm to 10mm big would that be ok to use?
Perlite is full of air bubbles and grit is solid stone.

If you are going to break some rocks try to break them into 4-5mm pieces and wear eye protection.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i've been googling and i can't find how grit and perlite differ in what they bring to a potting mix.

i can't decide if have some grit in the mix instead of all perlite makes any difference. icon_scratch
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

Mr List wrote:i've been googling and i can't find how grit and perlite differ in what they bring to a potting mix.

i can't decide if have some grit in the mix instead of all perlite makes any difference. icon_scratch
Well to be honest they are both ways of breaking up the soil, to make it less compacting, better drained and so on. The reason a combination of both is a good idea is that both grit and perlite have different textures and toughness's and slightly different mechanisms in how they work/behave.

Perlite it very brittle and will crumble easily, but is also porous and traps air and water in its bubbles. However in the longer term perlite can crumble under soil compaction.

Grit however is not brittle, will not crumble easily and maintains its structure indefinitely. This stops any compaction of the soil and also aids in drainage.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

well that is nice to know.

i used the crumbs from the packet of stone, a little bit of sharp sand i had left and then perlite.
dino

Post by dino »

These are now £2 for a 3l pot at our local B&Q icon_thumright