Eddoes and other eatable plants?

stevieboy1

Eddoes and other eatable plants?

Post by stevieboy1 »

Hiya all ive been looking up other things I could buy from local super markets and local indian food stores etc that would grow into tropical plants But dont know what and were to start? After the whole can I grow a coconut thing its just got me thinking about what else is possable?? icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch

I have seen eddoes for sale in morrisons in the past not that I knew what they were at the time till now. I was wondering what other type of tropical plants can i get from shop brought edable roots etc? icon_scratch

anyone else here brought things and grown them into nice looking tropical type plants?? icon_thumleft

Regards
Steve icon_thumleft
DAVIDEVANS

Re: Eddoes and other eatable plants?

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

If you go to the Arums etc within the Exotics Reference Forum, Dave B has posted a link to a site with most of the edibles cross referenced to their latin name.

Yorkshire Kris has made a video showing how to propagate eddoes. http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... eo#p270027
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

DAVIDEVANS wrote:If you go to the Arums etc within the Exotics Reference Forum, Dave B has posted a link to a site with most of the edibles cross referenced to their latin name.

Yorkshire Kris has made a video showing how to propagate eddoes. http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... eo#p270027

cool thanks for the link i just took a look and also found the list and have printed out a copy so i can have a look though it and google all the names etc to see if i can see whats what to give me an idea of what to look out for. icon_cheers icon_thumleft

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It can be a bit pot luck, but I've heard of red stemmed Colocasia esculenta coming from eddoes. They are cheap enough to treat as annuals, but many come back if in a sheltered position, and if you get an unusual one it would be worth propagating from icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stevieboy1 »

well I just got these from a little chinese shop today please tell me there Eddoes....

The little chinese lady in there no speak very good english and when i asked if they were eddoes she just smiled at me. :lol:

there were lots of strange roots and seed looking things in there ive never seen befor I wonder what they all were lol
I should of taken lots of photos lol
I did take a pic of this any one know what it is??

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

stevieboy1 wrote:well I just got these from a little chinese shop today please tell me there Eddoes....

The little chinese lady in there no speak very good english and when i asked if they were eddoes she just smiled at me. :lol:

there were lots of strange roots and seed looking things in there ive never seen befor I wonder what they all were lol
I should of taken lots of photos lol
I did take a pic of this any one know what it is??

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Pic 1 in an eddoe / colocasia esculenta
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Blairs wrote:Pic 1 in an eddoe / colocasia esculenta
Thankgoodness for that lol. :lol: :lol: I thought they looked about right for eddoes but wanted to make sure. icon_salut icon_thumleft

So any one know what them things are in the second pic??

regards
Steve :wink:
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Elephant testicle? :lol:

Not a clue, we have a little oriental shop in town so i may pop in and grab some Eddoes.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Delboy wrote:Elephant testicle? :lol:
Oh no dont want them haha :lol: :lol:

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Pic 2 could be a Yam.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Blairs wrote:Pic 2 could be a Yam.
I was close then icon_cheers
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

didnt seem like a yam? icon_scratch

It was like a coconut with no shell. I picked it up and it was very hard almost Nut like.
I only ask as i wonder if it would grow into somthing nice hehe :lol: :lol:

regards
Steve :wink:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

its a compressed and polished panda turd,a real delicacy in china
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Its def not a yam,

pete
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Panama Pete wrote:Its def not a yam,

pete
It was bought at a Chinese shop, so it could be a Purple Yam that is used in SE Asia:

http://www.succulent-plant.com/families ... 010296.jpg

They look different to the Yams in the UK which look more tuber like. Happy to be wrong though!