New palms came in the post today

miketropic

New palms came in the post today

Post by miketropic »

I got these from a member on a US palm forum. The price was very resonable considering the size and the packaging was fantastic. can't wait to sit them out this spring and see how they do.

Sabal Minor "cape hatteras giant" 19ltr pot

Sabal Minor " Birmingham" 11.5 lrt pot

GREVILLE

Re: New palms came in the post today

Post by GREVILLE »

The first one is interesting, Mike. S. minor with word 'giant' to describe a variant. Does it refer to the size of the leaf?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

leaves and petitole it gets about 8 ft tall with leave 3-4ft wide. the ones in habitat here are some of the largest sabals known. the growth rate is much much faster than normal sabals as well. both those are 5 years old and you can see the size differance
kata

Post by kata »

Great purchases Mike!

They look in a lovely condition. They don't look like they were forever in the pot, no mossy stuff etc.

:mrgreen:
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I really like the "giant" would love to try that in my garden, I do have a potted sabal minor mccurtain that is just putting out full size adult leaves that I will plant out soon but I would like a bigger plant to try and not just a plain sabal minor. I know they are slow in this country but I think I will give it a ornamental cold-frame type structure so it gets the required heat it needs. I was thinking of building a large version of the rectangular victorian bell style cloches or alike out of wood with removable front and back and painting it blue or white same for one of my larger rapidophyllum hystrix when it gets planted out.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I have no idea how avaliable they are outside the US. I know seed is around alot but mature plants not so much. even here in the states sabals arn't grown much due to there slow growth and low profit when selling. If you google Cape Hatteras it is a small chain of Island in north carolina. around zone 6B or a 7B somthing like that. these are the largest forms of sabals in the US and some have been there for a very long time. The guy these came from has more but shipping to the UK would be a nightmare. I would be willing to send you some seeds though if they come around again. check out some mature pictures of them they are huge compared to a regular minor.
TroyDonovan

Post by TroyDonovan »

Sabal minor is one tough palm and laughs at the long cold winters down here in Tassie .

Mine is approx 60 cm tall and has been in the garden since 2008 . The only drawback is that it is very slow growing in the cool climate down here making only 1 leaf a year :oops: ( and i irrigate and fertilize with nutricote total ) .

Troy
Attachments
sabal1.jpg
sabal1.jpg
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

1 Leaf a year thats awful..might want to check your fert. and see whats up with it. they will make 4 or 5 a year at that size here.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

miketropic wrote:1 Leaf a year thats awful..might want to check your fert. and see whats up with it. they will make 4 or 5 a year at that size here.

One leaf is good going in the UK
TroyDonovan

Post by TroyDonovan »

Hi Mike

" might want to check your fert. and see whats up with it."

I use Nutricote total and it is one of the best around also use seaweed once a month .

http://www.yates.com.au/commercial/prod ... e-180-day/

If we had the endless succseccion of 17 -23 C Summer overnight temps like SE USA instead of 8 - 11C maximum overnight in summer i am sure i would get a lot more fronds . In the end it comes back to HEAT LOL ! :D

Troy
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I would not mind one leaf a year as long as it kept looking as good as yours Troy, the only thing that I would be worried about is when I eventually plant one out that it will lose leaves to the wind and cold faster than it can produce them but I have a hot but slightly shaded and very sheltered spot to put one when I finally take the plunge and plant one out.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I can't wait to plant these out I *think* I know where I'm going to put them both. Id really like to wait till the night time temps warm up a bit. there still around 0C each night..I say 3 more weeks and these will be in ground. I can say we have the HEAT and they like it.. just on what I can remember I would say average temps in the summer were between 26c and 37c in the day and the nights are around 18c from may till sept. that will make a palm grow. can't wait for that again.

Picked up a large majesty palm at a hardware store yesterday for £.63 on clearance and a large chinese fan palm for £3 on clearance. I will do my best to overwinter the fan and grow the majesty as an annual.