Pdid`s garden blog (Bin sump in action)

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Tom2006

Re: Pdid`s garden blog (August UpDate)

Post by Tom2006 »

Its looking really, really good!!!
The Echiums look great!!. I have two (first time growing them) in pots and find the hairs on their leaves are not at all nice to touch!...BUT can't wait for them to flower next year. How are you going to get yours through the winter?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Cheers, yes the echiums have loved our "Summer" almost a little too much, I have 5 dotted around the garden with 3 of them planted together and they are taking over a little!

As for overwintering, i`ll probably just chuck a few layers of fleece over when it gets cold. I`d like to get at least one to flowering size but if I loose a few at least I have the space to fill next year icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Phil, keep one of the echiums potted for insurance and overwinter in a g/h if you can. I had 7 plants all in and the only one thats come to flower this year was my insurance jobbie that i planted out earlier in the year. The one's i left planted out over winter( fleeced) didn't make it.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I do like them......can yey be planted out then re lifted ???
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The Codfather wrote:I do like them......can yey be planted out then re lifted ???

Not really they resent root disturbance.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

icon_salut
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
pdid

Post by pdid »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Phil, keep one of the echiums potted for insurance and overwinter in a g/h if you can. I had 7 plants all in and the only one thats come to flower this year was my insurance jobbie that i planted out earlier in the year. The one's i left planted out over winter( fleeced) didn't make it.
Cheers Mark, I have a few that are still in pots but they are a little scratty, especially compared to the ones in the ground.
pdid

Re: Pdid`s garden blog (Ensete dig out 19/11/12)

Post by pdid »

Well it`s come to that time of year again, as some of you will be aware I gave up on my garden at the end of August due to the ridiculous amount of rain and flooding in the garden. It completely destroyed all my motivation and forced my into digging out my collies in early October.

I have been keeping busy with a few projects though. We are planning on extending the house next year and part of this involves converting the garage. The garage is currently used for storage and plant storage in Winter so a new shed has been built, before this could be built the fence needed to be extended, the existing one was knackered so we had a new one put up. I booked this job in at the end of August to start on 17th Sept. due to weather it didn`t get started till the 22nd Oct, more weather related frustration. Finally this last weekend shed was finished so now I can start to fill it!
20121119_094013 (800x600).jpg
20121119_093952 (800x600).jpg
Whilst all this was taking place I built a soakaway in the wet corner of the garden and a land drain accross it. 5 trips to the tip and about 50 rubble sacks of clay, my car is not thanking me.
20121119_094024 (800x600).jpg
Onto today which was ensete dig out day, i`ve been pretty disappointed with both Maurelii and standard ventricosum the saving grace being the 'Montbeliardii'! They will be kept in the con for a week or so to dry, sulphered then moved into frost free shed.
20121119_093935 (800x600).jpg
20121119_095539 (800x600).jpg
20121119_095529 (800x600).jpg
20121119_104229 (600x800).jpg
20121119_133825 (600x800).jpg
And just for fun 6 month 'Montbeliardii' growth. From 1ltr pot to 9ft. The little`un has grown a lot too :lol:
minimonty.jpg
IMG_0273 (598x800).jpg
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Pdid`s garden blog (Ensete dig out 19.11.12)

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Water issue's resolved now ?
pdid

Post by pdid »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Water issue's resolved now ?
Errrrr, well it has flooded since but seemed to drain quicker so hopefully. The topsoil needs top be improved and the level raised by a good few inches which is a job for next Spring as all existing plants in that corner will need to be pulled up and re-planted, as will part of the lawn.

I think that part of the garden is always going to be damp and will be planted accordingly.

Cheers
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Very interesting blog, thanks for keeping it updated.

Nice little touches with your garden such as the lighting on the dwarf walls of your patio, the child friendly lawn and play apparatus (see you got the biggest one you could squeeze in!), the well constructed hard landscaping, and the way you have layers of interest with trees and more conventional plants alongside the exotics.

Also really like your conservatory - smart flooring and decent sofas. I bet that in the summertime, with the doors open, the boundaries between garden and house are blurred.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Thanks for the kind words Rodger. The conservatory is great in Summer particularly for Barbies etc, the only trouble is that it`s currently a playroom, dining room, 2nd lounge and greenhouse so is bursting at the seams.

I sometimes wonder if the swing and slide is a little too big! The garden itself is in a right state at the minute but i`m looking forward to getting it sorted with a lot of re-arranging when the days start to lengthen again.
pdid

Re: Pdid`s garden blog (Wheelie bin drainage)

Post by pdid »

Most of you know that I have been having major problems with drainage since the wet Summer last year. I have tried various thing including a soakaway which haven't really worked. The part of the garden which floods the most is the lowest point sandwiched between at least 4 houses so invariably all their rain ends up in my garden.

On to the next proposal. I am going to dig out all of the hardcore from the soakaway and bury a wheelie bin (I picked one up from ebay for a tenner). Before I do this I am going to drill holes in the bin so hopefully it will act as a sump. The water can then be pumped out using a submersible pump. Once this has been completed I have 2 tonnes of topsoil coming at the beginning of March which will be dug in in order to raise the soil level, all plants in the area will need digging up a re-planting. I'll take some pics along the way, here`s a few to start.
Bin
Bin
Sump pump
Sump pump
Burial site
Burial site
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think it's. great idea as I need to do something along that line with my gardens lawn.
When I lay my sleeper path I will stand them on 2ft f pebbles to act as a drain :D
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

going to be an epic hole that pdid!!! can't wait to see the pics icon_cheers