Agaves cacti and suculents...

stevieboy1

Re: Agaves cacti and suculents...

Post by stevieboy1 »

dont think a bell jar would fit over my large agave its rather big lol mind its potted so can move it for winter. Although would work perfectly for smaller cold tolerant ones. icon_thumleft
I wont have room for large evergreen type trees and shrubs ive got a very small garden now with a big plan for a small space lol.

I want to build an area for these agaves cacti etc will be quite near the house but its a case of working out whats hardy enough to stay planted and what will need putting away for winter etc :wink:

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Survived -12 without protection,no damage, some in pots !

A.parryi
Y. rigida
Y. linearifolia
Y. faxoniana
Y. thompsonii
Y. recurvifolia

Survived undamaged in a tub with fleece protection:

Dasylirion longissimum

Survived unprotected but slightly damaged :

Y. gloriosa variegata
Y. aloifolia
A. neomexicana
A. harvardiana
Y. filifera (in a tub,unusual I know, must be a toughy !)

Killed at -12 no protection :

A. montana
A. parrasana
All my Puyas
Nolina longifolia
Dasylirion serratifolium

icon_salut
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

GaryW wrote:Survived -12 without protection,no damage, some in pots !

A.parryi
Y. rigida
Y. linearifolia
Y. faxoniana
Y. thompsonii
Y. recurvifolia

Survived undamaged in a tub with fleece protection:

Dasylirion longissimum

Survived unprotected but slightly damaged :

Y. gloriosa variegata
Y. aloifolia
A. neomexicana
A. harvardiana
Y. filifera (in a tub,unusual I know, must be a toughy !)

Killed at -12 no protection :

A. montana
A. parrasana
All my Puyas
Nolina longifolia
Dasylirion serratifolium

icon_salut
Thanks Gary I can have a look and see what they are on your list of what suvive and dont I will make a note and see from the list what I like and add the names to my ever growing wants list lol :DD

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Industrial

Post by Industrial »

cannondale28 wrote:Strangely my variagated Yucca Gloriosa seems to suffer in the winter.

Good luck.

Jerry
Strangely, this one I have had no problems with in my garden ever, mine are probably 8/9 years old and have withstood those two very bad winters with lows of -14C without even a blemish on the leaves, the only thing is with mine is they like to flower during the winter, one had two flower spikes this winter only to turn to mush a couple of weeks ago, would have looked lovely in the warm spring weather :( my biggest disappointments were Phormiums, I really got into these years ago and had many different cultivars dotted all around the garden, they did great until those two bad winters but it finished about 80% of them off, I thought they were more hardy than that....I was gutted, some were huge and flowered regular.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I have had exactly the same experience as Industrial regarding variegated yucca gloriosa as in it has sailed through the last five winters with no damage what so ever but it has flowered for the last few years over winter and this winter has turned the flower spike to mush.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Industrial wrote:
cannondale28 wrote:Strangely my variagated Yucca Gloriosa seems to suffer in the winter.

Good luck.

Jerry
Strangely, this one I have had no problems with in my garden ever, mine are probably 8/9 years old and have withstood those two very bad winters with lows of -14C without even a blemish on the leaves, the only thing is with mine is they like to flower during the winter, one had two flower spikes this winter only to turn to mush a couple of weeks ago, would have looked lovely in the warm spring weather :( my biggest disappointments were Phormiums, I really got into these years ago and had many different cultivars dotted all around the garden, they did great until those two bad winters but it finished about 80% of them off, I thought they were more hardy than that....I was gutted, some were huge and flowered regular.
Deb had a nice collection of phormiums too,lost all of them except one scruffy variegated one which i want out of the front garden.
that was 09 10 winter under a canopy of a large Trachycarpus.
not replacing them as they cant be trusted.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Industrial

Post by Industrial »

redsquirrel wrote:
Industrial wrote:

Good luck.

Jerry
Deb had a nice collection of phormiums too,lost all of them except one scruffy variegated one which i want out of the front garden.
that was 09 10 winter under a canopy of a large Trachycarpus.
not replacing them as they cant be trusted.
Yeah, same here, once they have all gone that is it. Strangely, the ones that are still alive are all variegated icon_scratch
Industrial

Post by Industrial »

JBALLY wrote:I have had exactly the same experience as Industrial regarding variegated yucca gloriosa as in it has sailed through the last five winters with no damage what so ever but it has flowered for the last few years over winter and this winter has turned the flower spike to mush.
Don't know why they have decided to flower over winter, have done so for about the last 3-4 years, they never used to and the flowers looked gorgeous :(
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Agave Neomexicana
call

Post by call »

agave havardiana
there icon_tongue
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

What ones would be small to medium sized? I would like a few that dont grow giant? Id like some rather small growing types or agave if there are any? icon_scratch

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Saslowi

Post by Saslowi »

Aloe polyphya need to be at least 30cm dia before they are winter hardy. I have a couple in 9" pots which were left in an unheated greenhouse (down to about -5C ) this year and look fine. Previous winters they have been in an unheated conservatory. I would not bring them into the house as they hate a hot and dry atmosphere.

Watering - give plenty in summer and enough to stop the soil drying out over winter. It is thought that biggest problem is water gathering in the crown and then freezing.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

I really would like to grow Aloe polyphya look lovely how fast growing are they from seed? I'm sure I could find some we're to winter them over lol

Regards
Steve ;-)
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

stevieboy1 wrote:I really would like to grow Aloe polyphya look lovely how fast growing are they from seed? I'm sure I could find some we're to winter them over lol

Regards
Steve ;-)

Got one from Trewidden Nursery , for £8 including PP , then I was asking my aunty for a simple aloe
and she send me those a polyphylla and plicatilis icon_scratch

Industrial

Post by Industrial »

stevieboy1 wrote:I really would like to grow Aloe polyphya look lovely how fast growing are they from seed? I'm sure I could find some we're to winter them over lol

Regards
Steve ;-)
I have some growing from seed now, they will be available in a few months. These are very tricky to get to germinate as you may already know.

The one below is about 2 months old.
Attachments
image.jpg