Eddoes and other eatable plants?

stevieboy1

Re: Eddoes and other eatable plants?

Post by stevieboy1 »

Cool :-)
The one that is starting to sprout is still going the mold don't seem to be getting any worse on that one so I'm quietly optimistic that at least one might survive so i will be very happy with that. ;-)

Just edited this post look its alive yay.... :lol: :roll:

Regards
Steve ;-)
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

I managed to get into gravesend Morrisons today and pic up another 6 eddoes so got them in to soak then soak with the peroxide and will then bag them up and put in the airing cubord icon_thumleft

one of the others is realy starting to get going now so wont be long befor i can pot my first one up yay. icon_cheers

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Last edited by stevieboy1 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

what about some of those???

chinese yam

Palmer

Post by Palmer »

The large phallic looking tubers that the cats sniffing… are Alocasia. :lol:
not sure about the others though icon_scratch
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Palmer wrote:The large phallic looking tubers that the cats sniffing… are Alocasia. :lol:
as in the giant sized leaf ones?? where did you get them from I realy want a giant Alocasia. Ive not seen any of them for sale in morrisons or are they sold as somthing else?? icon_scratch

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

as in the giant sized leaf ones?? where did you get them from I realy want a giant Alocasia. Ive not seen any of them for sale in morrisons or are they sold as somthing else?? icon_scratch

regards
Steve icon_thumleft[/quote]

I get them from my local asian shop , but as they are seasonal you must hurry up , as they will only be available up to the end of February , best place to looking for is a chinese store , in case you find one , I`ll suggest to buy some lotus roots as well , along with arrow roots , curcuma , galangal in march will be the Suran season as well , already ordered few .....
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Er don't really know what any of them are lol I have only now got to know what eddies are lol. What will all the other things grow into?

There is an Asian type shop down the high street but parking prices are redivilad so don't know if I can get down there any time soon will try. Not that I know what I'm looking for or what looks like what lol

Regards
Steve ;-)
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

I must have at least 50/60 plants grown from pips or shop related roots , at least 10 different variety of eddoes , yam and so on , I would put some picture but that would take me lots of time to risize them all.

few of the best

pineapple

suran

arrow roots

galangal and passion fruit

stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

The only chinese type shop I found didn't really have that much of interest and was very small, I will try and look in the Asian shop if I can. I really want an Alocasia.
What are Alocasia roots called in the aisian shops?
Some of the others you have grown are nice too ;-)

Regards
Steve ;-)
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

My 2 Colocasia Esculenta Elepant Ear Taro Gabi Kalo Bulbs finaly arrived in the post today. They are very small and not even half the size of the store bought eddoes. Do yuo think they might be a difrent type mabe a smaller type one? I can hope. :)

I had a look in the local asian shop and no roots that look like the ones the cat were sniffing so no alocasia in there. Will have to try else were when i can hope i ca find some.. icon_scratch

Regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

I have to admit that I live in a multicultural area , so get lots of different products from far east ,
try to find a chinese store and actually ask the seller , if I don`t find anything I`m looking for I usually ask and the
guy usually bring them in for me .
overall I still fail , never managed to germinate a cassava from root or even the bean yam .
but still find lots and lots of surprice , recently got :
bethel palm seeds , mangostine , giant annona , durian fruit (to expencive to buy) , guava , dragon fruit , sugar cane, red guava , chayote , lemon grass , kiwano , golden kiwi , air potatoes and so on.....

You should find an asian market in London , once even walking in china town London you can find some really strange fruit and veg,

My local store gets is eddoes from all around the world , got about 10 different variety just out of them .
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

WOW some very strange things there some look like mutant conkers lol :lol: I must admit ive just googled them all and very odd things indeed. icon_thumleft

I would like to find a large chinese store rather than the poki little one. Id like to get some of them Alocasia roots but what are they called in the chinese store? Or arew they just called Alocasia roots? icon_scratch

It was funny when I asked the little chinese lady in the small shop if they had any eddoes. she looked at me and just smiled didnt have a clue what I was on about lmao. :roll: :lol: Luckily I looked around and found them. :D

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
simon

Post by simon »

stevieboy1 wrote:It was funny when I asked the little chinese lady in the small shop if they had any eddoes. she looked at me and just smiled didnt have a clue what I was on about lmao. :roll: :lol: Luckily I looked around and found them. :D
That is because Eddoe is the West Indian name so she wouldn't have known it. Colocasia esculenta is widely grown throughout tropical and subtropical regions of the world and each region has thier own name for the vegetable, such as Taro, Dasheen, Arbi, Arvi, inhame, mukhi, kolokass or kolokasi, and many more. According to Wikipedia, your Chinese lady would know it as yùtou or yùnǎi, or if she was from Hong Kong, wuh táu.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

simon wrote:That is because Eddoe is the West Indian name so she wouldn't have known it. Colocasia esculenta is widely grown throughout tropical and subtropical regions of the world and each region has thier own name for the vegetable, such as Taro, Dasheen, Arbi, Arvi, inhame, mukhi, kolokass or kolokasi, and many more. According to Wikipedia, your Chinese lady would know it as yùtou or yùnǎi, or if she was from Hong Kong, wuh táu.
erm I think I will just look and smile I wouldnt know were to start lol I have enough trouble trying to remember what the root looks like letalone what to call it. :lol: :lol:

Regards
Steve. icon_thumleft
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Just stopped down the chinese shop , I was looking for some lotus roots , but they didn`t look fresh .

got some fresh pepper (will not grow too hard)
galingale and galanga ginger