Eager Cycad Revoluta

DiCasS

Eager Cycad Revoluta

Post by DiCasS »

My Cycad Revoluta spends time in my garage over Winter. He likes it and goes every year. He doesn't do anything just sits there waiting to be released again in better weather when generally gives a flush every year - he rarely misses - unlike another one that I've got which refuses to flush regularly so has been consigned to live in the garden this last year :lol: Anyway, went to check on the garage one, and was really surprised to find that he's actually grown over Winter. He definitely wasn't so close to a flush as he is now. Never has been before. I reckon, if he flushes any time soon then this will be the earliest he has flushed for me (if it happens) in the probably 10 years I've had him. Does anyone else notice growth over Winter?

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Tom and Shell

Re: Eager Cycad Revoluta

Post by Tom and Shell »

We have had our for about a year and it looks the same today as the day we got it. its certainly not done anything over winter in the shed. maybe a flush is on the cards for this summer, i hope so. if only it looked like the ones we saw in spain :shock: :shock:

ours
ours last summer
ours last summer
Attachments
the beasts we saw last year!
the beasts we saw last year!
close to 7 foot tall
close to 7 foot tall
IMG_0522.JPG
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

It looks a nice healthy plant so should do when it's ready icon_thumleft We need a bit of this icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny this year as well, that should help.

Here's one a bit further along than yours showing the seeds, I think they're fascinating.
Picture 2713 [640x480].jpg
Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Im really bad at growing these but noticed a small one on a s facing window has started to flush yesterday icon_cyclops_ani icon_cyclops_ani icon_cyclops_ani
Gonna stick some seaweed and lawn food in my bigger ones and stick them in a sealed plastic greenhouse to force som flushing action.
Seems the right way to do it as i saw the dutch doing this in their mega greenhouses.Looked like the egg chamber in the Alien movie :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have never herd of that before, saying that if you get them walm enouph the should send out fronds i think.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

These are sold as very cheap house plants here so I wanted to do an experiment. what is the coldest temps these have taken in the UK and came back from? I overwinter mine in the basement but id like to try one outside with min. protection if possible.
kata

Post by kata »

I have had a -10 in the back garden in 2010 Mike,

The leaves did go yellow though.

:mrgreen:
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

bordersboy wrote: Gonna stick some seaweed and lawn food in my bigger ones and stick them in a sealed plastic greenhouse to force som flushing action.
Try sitting it in a tray of water too. I read last year that C. revoluta flush during the wet season in their natural habitat. I rescued one from my local dump last year and sat it in water for a few weeks and was rewarded with an impressive flush! :D
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

If they have daily temperatures over 30*c they will flush 3 times in a year. The UK climate is not warm enough for them to be honest, you are better off with a dicksonia antarctica that is less heat+light demanding. Cycas Revoulta would be good for someone like Mike though who gets enough heat. From what I have read their leaves hardiness is similar to the hardiness of a dicksonia antarctica's fronds. (-3*/-4*c)
Last edited by greendragon on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Should be able to do that easily outside if the summer is anything like last year icon_thumright
Simba

Post by Simba »

DiCasS wrote:Does anyone else notice growth over Winter?
My large potted one, that gets a similar wintering to yours Di, definately grows over the winter....infact I am going to repot it because it looks to have outgrown its current one.... icon_thumright
pdid

Post by pdid »

I wish mine would show some sort of growth. It's not shifted since I bought it 2 years ago.
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

miketropic wrote:These are sold as very cheap house plants here so I wanted to do an experiment. what is the coldest temps these have taken in the UK and came back from? I overwinter mine in the basement but id like to try one outside with min. protection if possible.
I grew them in Dallas, TX. They defoliated each winter, but would flush twice a year in April and August. I haven't seen them any further north than Southern Oklahoma.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I've only ever managed one flush and am grateful every time it flushes - twice would be ..... well, I think I would be just too excited :lol:

My one in the garage hasn't been watered since god knows when, it was moist when I brought it inside. Glad some others have moved, Simba, I've never noticed growth in any other years, I'm thinking it must be the mild temps we've had this year here to help it along.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Mine has been sat dry in the conservatory and I noticed today that the soil is coming away from the sides of the pot.Is it ok to start watering them now? If so can they have alot of just a small amount? The temps have been getting high in there the past few days :roll: