Variegated palms

Troppoz

Re: Variegated palms

Post by Troppoz »

Sure you do Mike! At least find the energy to post a few, I for one would like to see them icon_thumright
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Seconded, I would like to see them too Mike please.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I must give the people what they want :lol: Here are a few. credit to my friend jerod out at surf city palms for the photos he has a really nice collection

mexican fan

majesty

foxtail

Fox Lady hybrid

Kentia

Christmas palm

more tomm I need some sleep. I prefer the var white ones to the yellow myself although they seem even more rare.
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Some great photo's on this thread! There's some really nice ones. If I had one it would definitely be a talking point, especially if your showing people your plant collections.

Now to do some research as a Trachycarpus seems hard to get, so I need to find another palm to buy!

We need Nigel to read this thread, as he might have some experience due to his palm businesses. :)
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Wow, they're great. I'd like to be the proud owner of any one of those :D

A friend sent me some Caryota seedlings, one leaf seedlings they were, green, one plant threw up a green/white leaf, next leaf some green, the last three all white. From what I've read I suspect I wont be able to keep it long, but will enjoy it whilst I still have it. It's slow, burns easily but I love it all the same. A little scruffbag of a plant, but am not giving up on it just yet.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I actually had a small variegated Trachycarpus fortunei years ago & was given it from the shop that I worked at as someone brought it back saying it was diseased. I then planted it in my aviary where it was destroyed by the beaks of the cockatiels & rosellas within a few weeks :oops:
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I am almost ashamed to say this but I opened the blinds to let in a bit of light...I guess it was just to much for my common var. Raphis..after only 12 hours I walked in to find almost every leaf was brown and sulking, half way closed up. I poured it full of water and sat it in a dark corner. some of the larger leaves are still ok but out of 20 canes I would say I have 5 healthy leaves left. the spears are good so maybe with a WHOLE lot of care it will recover..in a few years :cry: .. at least the really nice one is still alright but trading a single cane palm for a 20 cane death is tough
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

:( Nathan!! If it was a variegated one, it would've been worth hundreds now...

Shows that they do turn up though icon_thumleft
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

miketropic wrote:I am almost ashamed to say this but I opened the blinds to let in a bit of light...I guess it was just to much for my common var. Raphis..after only 12 hours I walked in to find almost every leaf was brown and sulking, half way closed up. I poured it full of water and sat it in a dark corner. some of the larger leaves are still ok but out of 20 canes I would say I have 5 healthy leaves left. the spears are good so maybe with a WHOLE lot of care it will recover..in a few years :cry: .. at least the really nice one is still alright but trading a single cane palm for a 20 cane death is tough
:ahhh!:

Mike thats a tragedy! I feel your loss having had the same thing happen myself...they are so slow growing that it will be years before they make reasonable specimens again :(

Nathan I cant believe you were so ready to sacrifice a variegated Trachycarpus! icon_thumbdown It would be quite a specimen and very rare by now, dont do it again!
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

It is a major set back for me but I will try and get it to pull through still. I am starting to hunt for a var. windmill a bit more now than I was before. Here are a few more to make up for my killing of a fine plant.

cardboard palm

pygmy date palm

cycad alba

Fox Lady

miketropic

Post by miketropic »

This is shameful but oh well

when I came home from work it looked like this

after a few hours of light in the window

:oops: :cry:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

OUCH!!! :ahhh!:

Mike that must hurt! Same happened to mine and they didnt even receive any direct sun, just light reflected off a wall...I was gutted as Im sure you were :cry:
SurfCityPalms

Post by SurfCityPalms »

Hey those are my trees! Lol, I was doing a google search to explore for new stuff and found a bunch of pictures of my own trees, lol funny, it actually made me laugh out loud..

Hey Mike! I should upload a few pics, I didn't realize how old those pictures are that you put on the forum until I saw them, everything is A LOT bigger now; I really need to update the pictures on my site...

Jerod
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the madhouse Jerod icon_thumleft
SurfCityPalms

Post by SurfCityPalms »

Thanks, I'm always looking for new places to be a part of and this one looks active..