How much root will a Dicksonia antarctica have laid down in a year and a half.

cordyman

How much root will a Dicksonia antarctica have laid down in a year and a half.

Post by cordyman »

Bought my Dicksonia antarctica in July 2011, and you can see the pot it came in here

Pot was full of solid roots and had to hammer it off, since then its been planted in this spot for a year and a half. If I dig it up around May, am I likely to find the same sized rootball as in the original pic, or will I be looking at a far bigger root mass to deal with icon_scratch

I know people on here say they root VERY slowly when just a trunk, but what about a pot full of roots to begin with?

I'm having a massive rethink this year, and moving any potential shade casting plants away from my West border, and the Dicksonia antarctica will love the shade I expect next to the fence, as opposed to its current full sun South position (which its doing well in I must add).
Delboy

Re: How much root will a Dicksonia antarctica have laid down

Post by Delboy »

I moved a seagrave log after only 3 months and was amazed when I saw it had a good 3" of new roots.
I would expect yours to have loads of new roots, but I think it would be possible to move it.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Hi Cordy

I have a three year old one that cannot be moved now so they sure put out roots. Remember if you were willing to loose more trunk when planting, then the greater the growth of roots. Thats my opinion on the different ones that i have planted so far.

-pete- :alien:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Dicksonia antarctica lay down roots quick and you should expect the root ball to be massive, I suppose you need to take as much rootball as possible has not to reduce the frond size dramatically.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Panama Pete wrote:Hi Cordy

I have a three year old one that cannot be moved now so they sure put out roots. Remember if you were willing to loose more trunk when planting, then the greater the growth of roots. Thats my opinion on the different ones that i have planted so far.

-pete- :alien:

when you say "cannot be moved" in what way ? like a Yorkshire Kris "get the missus to use a wall and push with feet but still no movement" way?

What if you attacked it with a trenching spade?

I'd hate to have to lean on it etc to get it out

PS. I didnt lose any trunk when planted, the plant pot was just pure soil and root, I planted it where the trunk started level with the soil.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

fern Rob wrote:Dicksonia antarctica lay down roots quick and you should expect the root ball to be massive, I suppose you need to take as much rootball as possible has not to reduce the frond size dramatically.
everyone has always said the opposite on here :lol:
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

U may get a sort of bowl shaped rootstock but still easy to dg up.
Interesting to see yours in sun.
Mine have a narrowing crown which I think is due to too much sun.
Anyone else suffering from crown narrowing.
Neil
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Neil Ziemski wrote:U may get a sort of bowl shaped rootstock but still easy to dg up.
Interesting to see yours in sun.
Mine have a narrowing crown which I think is due to too much sun.
Anyone else suffering from crown narrowing.
Neil

The year afters growth in full sun looked like this

Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

That's not too bad.
I suppose I just have to live with my northern growth.
But after last years trip to Cornwall mine look shabby!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Your not much further North than me? you should be able to get some big healthy fronds as above pic icon_scratch
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

Looks ok but after looking at the ones at Trebar gardens last year I'm disappointed with my own.
I thought about overwintering in the greenhouse to see if I can improve things.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Frond size is determined by last years energy stores and also damage, dryness etc etc. If you were to dig up, try to get as much of the root ball as possible, after 18 months you might not have loads, but any longer and it could be a real slog. They actually seem to respond well to pruning of the roots by say 20-30%.

As for the narrowing crown Neil, what do you mean? Full sun wont do this, as far as I am aware. Mine are in full sun in pots and put out 6' fronds last year. They need lots of water, and a good feed in spring, and then some dilute seaweed feed once a month. Many thing is don't let them be dry for too long and don't let the roots get pot bound.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

Neil, Dave Brown talked about narrowing on a post in the last couple of months.Here it is http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 13&t=19069
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Personally I would never cut the roots on Dicksonia antarctica back. Dicksonia antarctica have lost the main root when harvesterd, unlike other tree ferns that have to have the main root kept intact to survive Dicksonia antarctica can survive without it. The Dicksonia antarctica will have to re generate roots from the rhizome at the top of the crown as for the others if the main root is intact it will send the roots out from all over the trunk and down to he ground . You may also experience shortening of the new fronds due to root loss and shock.
I personally trim roots of plants before I plant them to encourage the roots to divide but I would not personally do this to a tree fern. Outside you can not give them the right conditions as in the wild through most of Britain.
Save as much root as you can :)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

There is a thread on another forum where a tree fern addict grows virtually all his ferns in pots and regularly cuts roots back and sees improved growth. But if you can save them no harm there
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.