Moving a fatsia

Delboy

Moving a fatsia

Post by Delboy »

When is the best time to move a fatsia? I have a nice 2 foot variegated one under my pergola in a small raised bed but I want to build a seating area and remove the plants.
I'm hoping they transplant well as its a really nice plant, been in the ground about 14 months.
Addictedtopalms26

Re: Moving a fatsia

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Definitely when it warms up!

I made the mistake of moving a bamboo in January, (which had only been in the ground 6 months) and it didn't make it :?

I assumed it wouldn't have rooted that much so would be ok, but it must've been the cold ground.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Now is a a good time to move evergreens before they start to grow this year. I wouldn't move it in a frosty spell though. I moved one 2 years ago the first year the growth was slow and the leaves smaller than normal. The second year It grew as normal. icon_thumright
Last edited by jungle jas on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Normally now would be OK, but this year - wait till things have warmed up a bit. As a general rule, broadleaf evergreens are best moved when the soil temperature has reached 10°.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would say before it starts to grow again but not with the current frost as Fatsia can become temperamental when damaged.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Cheers guys, il wait till it warms up a tad then.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have been thinking, I have a Fatsia that is 4ft tall and in the middle of a boarder, can it be moved 5ft to one side without killing it, or is it cut down and replace.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I dug up a massive one with hardly any roots at all, it is fine 18 months later.

easy to transplant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BYM6dlasRI

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... ia#p241688
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Slightly off subject but how many grow the variegated fatsia?, i already have 3 large standard ones, & 2 small fatsia annelisa, couldnt resist this small variegated one yesterday!! it has big bloches of cream over the leaves? is this the one also known as spiders web? or is that another one ?. karl.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

karl66 wrote:Slightly off subject but how many grow the variegated fatsia?, i already have 3 large standard ones, & 2 small fatsia annelisa, couldnt resist this small variegated one yesterday!! it has big bloches of cream over the leaves? is this the one also known as spiders web? or is that another one ?. karl.

Its a different one Karl, spiders web is more mottled and has finer coloration. I have just one variegated, but its more green than cream, i have come to the conclusion its to do with light, mine is in a highly shaded area. The polycarpa loves the dense shade though :D
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok thanks trudy, this 5 litre one i've picked up has lot's of cream on the leaves & i was going to plant it in a shaded area with some dicksonia? are you saying it may well turn back to full green in shade?. thanks karl.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

No Karl I don't think it will totally revert, mine had a good balance of cream and green on the leaves. They still have cream, just not as highly patterned as before. Mine is planted in the shade of bamboo, a large chammy and a Trachycarpus so does struggle for light although growing well. I'd plant it anyway Karl as its a great filler and grows like mad I find in the summer. Get a few more to dot around, imo they are super plants, got the exotic look without worrying too much about hardiness :D
brendan

Post by brendan »

karl66 wrote:Slightly off subject but how many grow the variegated fatsia?, i already have 3 large standard ones, & 2 small fatsia annelisa, couldnt resist this small variegated one yesterday!! it has big bloches of cream over the leaves? is this the one also known as spiders web? or is that another one ?. karl.
Karl the top one is variegata grown in complete shade and the bottom one is spiderweb.
Attachments
fatsia leaves 001.JPG
fatsia leaves 003.JPG
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thanks Brendan, there both nice looking fatsia!!, i'll have to have a hunt around for spiders web now!. karl.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Mine is in full shade, under a pergola and hasn't lost is colours.

I want a spiders Web too, i have a tiny plug I got from amulree over a year ago and it's just not growing.