Back in the freezer every week !

GoggleboxUK

Re: Back in the freezer this week

Post by GoggleboxUK »

cordyman wrote:BBC have changed the heavy snow to light now, and friday and saturday from snow to dark cloud. Don't trust the beeb though :?
Trust no one, the only thing people won't believe is the truth.

Sorry, I was just possessed by the ghost of Fox mulder.

:cry:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

We might be escaping major snowfall in London according to the forecast but an "exceptional weather event" seems likely here before the weekend is out' be that snow and/or cold with a close to negative double digits windchill. :shock:
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

The Weather here in Rhyl is Currently just horrible. + 1.1 degrees and falling in my garden but blowing a gale with sleet/rain. God knows what the temp is when you take into account the chill factor.It feels bleedin freezin. I`m so sick of this you can`t believe !!! Nothing on the horizon to give us any cheer either!! All the Models seem to be showing this horrible, cold Weather to keep going at least to the second week of April. :shock:
This is the model i`m getting for this weekend - And sorry Folks but it`s not getting any better for at least 2 weeks.
Attachments
Weather Model.png
Alexander

Re: Has Someone Broken The Weather

Post by Alexander »

British Leyland, well I am a bit of an explorer but have never worked for that company!

Well this cold weather is extreme!

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Andy P wrote:The Weather here in Rhyl is Currently just horrible. + 1.1 degrees and falling in my garden but blowing a gale with sleet/rain. God knows what the temp is when you take into account the chill factor.It feels bleedin freezin. I`m so sick of this you can`t believe !!! Nothing on the horizon to give us any cheer either!! All the Models seem to be showing this horrible, cold Weather to keep going at least to the second week of April. :shock:
This is the model i`m getting for this weekend - And sorry Folks but it`s not getting any better for at least 2 weeks.
Well maybe in areas with 10 to 20 cm of fresh snow followed by a clear night and no wind it can drop below -10 C. Maybe even a -15 C or lower in frosthollows!!! So be warned. Well maybe this is the begining of a little iceage, who knows!
Fortunately in my area, near The Hague, there is now snow so we will see minus 4, maybe -5 C but above zero during the day.
Well in Germany from bassically about 100 kom east of the border it gets really winter with temperature forcast of -5 C till -10 and colder! And a whole week!
North America has also some extreme cold, Pekin had snow a few days ago. Well the weather is really f**ked up!

For milder weather next week you have to go at least south of the Loire!

Alexander
Alexander

Re: Hello spring?

Post by Alexander »

Tom2006 wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Really odd thing is they are still doggedly saying "Global Warming" yet the whole Northern Hemisphere is affected..... That's half the globe, right?

Someone has lost the plot, but I don't think it is me icon_shaking2 icon_shaking2
For me this is a result of global warming, its just we are taking the brunt of the effects, and not in a good way. I suppose being a small island surrounded by a cold sea in the northern hemisphere, we should never have believed the stories that we would become a mediterranean isle!
Well in the geological past the UK had a much warmer climate. They had found the rest of snails wich are now found in the Mediterranean. But that was at least 500.000 years ago.

And a Sabal species was growing in the Low Countries 10 million years ago.

Alexander
Alexander

Re: 3 Questions for the weather experts...

Post by Alexander »

Axel wrote:
Axel wrote:
Alexander wrote:Well if I where Nigel I would start growing nice palms and other exotics somewhere in Spain or Portugal. After Brasil Portugese should not be to difficuld. Land should be cheaper there now due to the crisis. Well so many nice things you can grow there and export.

And Nigel knows a lot of palms so why waste time in a cold climate. Otherwise you can better start growing Helleborus for example, very tuff and very nice plants also. They do not give a damne about arctic weather!

Alexander

I hope you are paying attention Nigel, you are wasting your time, palms grow in the south of Europe as well, they speak portugese in Portugal too.
These ideas probably never crossed your mind. drunken_smilie1

Oh and another thing Nigel;
if you are planning to post some information regarding butia's or butiagrus, Alexander will reply on every forum that they are not hardy in the UK and people shouldnt plant them.
Well they are hardy in at least mild places like London and Southern England and Ireland. Well I have seen recent pictures of good healthy Butias, and other palms like Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. So in some areas you could say they are hardy, in other areas not.

I had wronly based my theory/conclussion on the many pictures and stories about Butias planted in Holland and Belgium. And in the UK as well, in colder areas.

So if you live in an area where you can grow Butias, plant as many as you can as they are gorgeous palms! And consider you very lucky you can grow them that far north! The UK climate is not all that bad in some parts!

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well maybe if we get a good long hot summer with much higher then average temperatures not everything is lost.

In theory there is the possibilty that thise easterly winds continue, so afer a long cold period it can turn into hot weather in a few weeks. A sort of continental scenario.

Alexander
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Has Someone Broken The Weather

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

flounder wrote:What, a dutch explorer worked for British Leyland?
I think all BL workers were explorers, always off somewhere but never in work........... :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

When did you start protecting stuff Tom, October, November or December? Could get these 20 days of lost Spring back with a decent mild autumn.[/quote]

I think its psychological though for us gardeners. normally at this time of year we are well on the way, seeds sown etc etc. Its like winter has arrived and decided never to leave, but i accept if we get a lovely warm october we can claw it back. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

yes looks like remaining this cold right through until early April :shock: :? :cry:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

yes Tom, Id go as far to say Spring might be absent altogether this year.. I feel when this cold breaks down towards May (or in it), we'll skip straight into summer... This year is going to be growing disaster... I don't think we always realise how important Spring is for a healthy growth pattern.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

It is looking much warmer from next Friday (29th).
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

otorongo wrote:It is looking much warmer from next Friday (29th).
I don't want to come across as unduly pessimistic, but I'd take this with extreme caution.. the trend with things is for them to be pushed back and replaced with cold further on.... I fully expect this will happen... that said there's only so long this cold can last!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

cordyman wrote:
What would that achieve apart form being perceived as a troll following someone around?
Well whatever it achieves ,its what he does and I try to ignore it.