Help me mend this cordy

jawsum

Help me mend this cordy

Post by jawsum »

Hi, the pic shows a sort of rotten dent in the trunk, I dont know what caused it but I was thinking of packing it with something and repairing with some sort of splint/bandage

Any thoughts?
Attachments
image.jpg
Addictedtopalms26

Re: Help me mend this cordy

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Did you buy the cordyline at that size?

I found one with similar damage where some bits of wood had been wedged in the pot, to keep the plant upright. Then the plant had grown into the wood and been damaged.

I'd just give it some fertilizer and try to strengthen it up. icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I'm sorry to say but that looks pretty terminal. I think you would be better just cutting back to below the damaged point and it will send up lots of nice new growth. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I would scrape out the damaged tissue and treat with Seal and Heal and see what happens before I cut it off.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I've had this type of damage on some of mine in the past. Unless its actually manky in there and the crown is suffering, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It does cause a slight weak spot on the trunk as it matures but I've often observed it does seem to increase the chance of suckering lower down
TroyDonovan

Post by TroyDonovan »

Hmm sorry to say not good - time to get a fresh one !

Troy
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

jawsum wrote:Hi, the pic shows a sort of rotten dent in the trunk, I dont know what caused it but I was thinking of packing it with something and repairing with some sort of splint/bandage

Any thoughts?
I think I,ve got a spare one you can have if you want jawsum.
if you can make your way over here to Southend.
Give us a pm and I'll go check in the morning.
jawsum

Post by jawsum »

Nigel, thanks for the generous offer im sorry that ive only just read it. Thanks to every one else also, i'm going to leave it alone for now, the top is still looking very healthy.