SOCHI? THE CITY OF A MILLION PALM TREES.

billdango

SOCHI? THE CITY OF A MILLION PALM TREES.

Post by billdango »

Fed up with our lousy weather?

Then take a google trip [just updated] around a cold hardy palm lovers dream of paradise.

I have just spent many happy hours online touring the streets of this incredible Russian city and I recommend that forum members in their spare time do the same.

This city of palms is a credit to the people of Russia and I can,t understand why we in at least one city in the UK [say London] can't try to do the same.

Every type of cold hardy palm grows here and the number of Trachys must run into tens of thousands.

I know that the awesome summer heat there makes a difference to the plants that can be grown but it can get as cold in Sochi in winter as southern England.

Just go onto google maps and type in Sochi.

You won't be dissapointed.

billdango icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny
waggy1

Re: SOCHI? THE CITY OF A MILLION PALM TREES.

Post by waggy1 »

I've taken a wee tour of the city and they have certainly got plenty of Palm trees. Thanks
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

do you have any google map links to bits in particular that really impressed you Bill icon_scratch

Going to have a wonder now drunken_smilie1
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Wow! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

billdango

Post by billdango »

cordyman wrote:do you have any google map links to bits in particular that really impressed you Bill icon_scratch

Going to have a wonder now drunken_smilie1
Sorry cordyman I don't have any links because where ever you go in that City on google there are nothing but palm trees.

So its a waste of time posting anything on the forum as every forum member can find something of interest no matter they google.

Other interesting plants noted are some sort of tall thin conifer which also grows here in Southampton and loads of Agaves and common British street trees.

This City [Sochi] is full of trees that you can find in any part of the UK but the shear number of those trees are what gives that City its character.

And why is this?
Because our City fathers just love cutting down the trees in are own Towns and Cities to build even more gimcrack developments.

Look carefully and you may notice that nearly every tree and shrub including most palms will grow well in most UK Cities.

One of the places I must visit again before I die.

billdango :D
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

billdango wrote:Other interesting plants noted are some sort of tall thin conifer which also grows here in Southampton
Mediterranean Cypress, fastigiate cultivar Cupressus sempervirens 'Stricta'
medjool

Post by medjool »

Some good Washys in Sochi too,although its not quite as warm in the winter as you would imagine,can drop to a mean temperature of -4c for a day or so!
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

I think the climate there is more like the south of France than the south of England.

But nice that they love their palm trees so much.

:D
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The averages for winter are similar to here, but the summers are much warmer... They have a record low colder than here too...
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Nathan wrote:The averages for winter are similar to here, but the summers are much warmer... They have a record low colder than here too...
They have summer heat and more sunshine. Something sadly lacking in the UK.
billdango

Post by billdango »

You can check out the climate of Sochi on Wickipedia.

Just type in Sochi and all the details of that City inc history and climate is given in full.

Its interesting to note that the winters in Sochi are almost the same as in Tresco temperature wise but the summers are hot and humid with an average daily maximum from May to September of between 25c to 29c so thats a bit better then the Uk I think.

The lowest on record there sees to be about -13c so thats a lot lower then Tresco has ever had.

Sun hours are quite good as well as they recieve around 2.175 hours a year so that leaves most of us palm growers in the UK in the shade.

But those small details shouldn't be a problem for any Town on the South coast trying to copy Sochi as most of their plants grow down here anyway.

Just imagine streets lined with hardy palms and most gardens bursting with yuccas and Cordylines and Trachys.

It can be done but the will is lacking.

Maybe some future exoticist will start the ball rolling.

billdango icon_sunny

ps I,m off back to Sochi tonight to check out the north of the City?
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Problem is UK is obsessed with native plants (those that came here before the last ice age :roll: ) and scared of invasive species.

UK councils have no vision or foresight.

Tis dull and always will be.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

MikeC wrote:I think the climate there is more like the south of France than the south of England.
Same latitude as the south of France too, so not so surprising icon_thumright
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Aren't they hosting the winter olympics though?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yep - ski slopes up in the Caucasus Mountains behind Sochi.