paulownia tomentosa

Brummie Brian

paulownia tomentosa

Post by Brummie Brian »

Hi

Does anyone know where I can buy the above plant from. Ive looked at a few nurseries online but all are showing out of stock. I'm after the variety with the large green leaves. Any growing info from anyone who has used it would also be much appreciated.

Thanks a million

Brian
miketropic

Re: paulownia tomentosa

Post by miketropic »

I need to buy one myself I have tried them from seed a few times with no results..seems everywhere in the states only sells seed..if I make it back to tennessee I will just harvest one from the wild
Brummie Brian

Post by Brummie Brian »

Thanks Callum for your speedy reply

'Turn it tropical' looks a decent price at £10 so I will order one tomorrow

Thanks again

Brian
harryc

Post by harryc »

Brummie Brian wrote:Thanks Callum for your speedy reply

'Turn it tropical' looks a decent price at £10 so I will order one tomorrow

Thanks again

Brian
Just beware of their delivery prices :shock: :shock:

H
grub

Post by grub »

Mike mine is grown from seed, I bought 20 on fleabay and had 20 plants. Sowed then in a 50/50 perlite and multi-p mix and stood them on a radiator, popped in a couple of weeks if I remember correctly. Keeping them alive was harder than germinating them, they seemed to need it hot...
Brummie Brian

Post by Brummie Brian »

Thanks

Will Do
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Got mine from ebay, 4ft plant for £12.

Final year in the ground for mine as it is this time then I'm going to start stooling it.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

grub wrote:Mike mine is grown from seed, I bought 20 on fleabay and had 20 plants. Sowed then in a 50/50 perlite and multi-p mix and stood them on a radiator, popped in a couple of weeks if I remember correctly. Keeping them alive was harder than germinating them, they seemed to need it hot...

I sowed a few a few months ago and they have been in the prop ever since and I never have see a thing..acually nothing out of all the seeds in there, thinking they were bad seed to start with..might rty it again off fleabay I think there like 400 seeds for 2 bucks or somthing :lol: I have to be able to get somthing to grow out of 400 seeds
multim

Post by multim »

I used to grow it but each year, around August, it succumbed to leaf spot and progressive browning of the leaves - it always started the year looking good then looking awful by late Summer. It appeared hardy enough with fast growth and impressive leaves, but due to the annual disease probs, it had to go.
There is one in a local garden, they knew not its name (until I told them), they named it 'The Beanstalk' as in 'Jack and the...........!
This one doesn't seem to affected by disease, perhaps better air circulation?
It can make a huge plant/tree and grows pretty fast too.
Brummie Brian

Post by Brummie Brian »

Thanks Multim

As there not expensive, I will give it a go
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

Try Hayloft plants they have some.
Only a fiver delivery
http://www.hayloft-plants.co.uk/Paulown ... glove-Tree)-AGM/prod7258.html
Neil
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

miketropic wrote:
grub wrote:Mike mine is grown from seed, I bought 20 on fleabay and had 20 plants. Sowed then in a 50/50 perlite and multi-p mix and stood them on a radiator, popped in a couple of weeks if I remember correctly. Keeping them alive was harder than germinating them, they seemed to need it hot...

I sowed a few a few months ago and they have been in the prop ever since and I never have see a thing..acually nothing out of all the seeds in there, thinking they were bad seed to start with..might rty it again off fleabay I think there like 400 seeds for 2 bucks or somthing :lol: I have to be able to get somthing to grow out of 400 seeds

Mike they are easy enough if you surface sow thinly and keep an eye on the small seedlings when they first germinate (they are tiny to start with) just one small slug can destroy a whole pot full!
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

i cut mine to the ground, for maximum foilage , not sure it will come back after the appoling weather... but I might surprise me.. :D
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

charliepridham wrote:
miketropic wrote:

Mike they are easy enough if you surface sow thinly and keep an eye on the small seedlings when they first germinate (they are tiny to start with) just one small slug can destroy a whole pot full!

I will try them again. do you germ at room temp or in a prop?