Eddoes and other eatable plants?

stevieboy1

Re: Eddoes and other eatable plants?

Post by stevieboy1 »

miketropic wrote:this is my pinapple that fruited last year. it has taken a beating this winter but I think it will be alright..I have since rooted the top and it is a very healthy plant more so than the original

Lovely mike i have been trying to grow a pinaple. but they keep rotting. wonder if its the weather causing the problem??
I used to grow them years ago no prob but they seem to die on my at the mo. :x I tried potting a top no luck i have also tried the striping back the leaves from the top to reveal the little roots and placing it so it just sat it some water changing the water reguly but no still rotted i even tried the peroxide to help but no luck.

I even found some seeds in the last one and folled an online guide to grow them so there in a sealed little glas jar on damp paper towl so will wait but i doubt they will grow but it was worth a try lol

I think im going to now wait till the weather warms up and try again with another fresh pinaple.
regards
Steve icon_thumleft
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Sal73 wrote:fresh from India , 10 Suran and 3 dasheen from west indi

them Suran sure are big i see a couple today.!!

I am on the lookout for the mixed root pack but so far no luck I realy want to grow some arrowroot but seem to find any at the mo. I even looked in morrisons but they didnt have any lol.

I would like some dasheen too but not found any of them either just isnt that many asian shops around here ive found a few but nothing to exiting in them so far apart from a few eddoes...

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

stevieboy1 wrote:
miketropic wrote:this is my pinapple that fruited last year. it has taken a beating this winter but I think it will be alright..I have since rooted the top and it is a very healthy plant more so than the original

Lovely mike i have been trying to grow a pinaple. but they keep rotting. wonder if its the weather causing the problem??
I used to grow them years ago no prob but they seem to die on my at the mo. :x I tried potting a top no luck i have also tried the striping back the leaves from the top to reveal the little roots and placing it so it just sat it some water changing the water reguly but no still rotted i even tried the peroxide to help but no luck.

I even found some seeds in the last one and folled an online guide to grow them so there in a sealed little glas jar on damp paper towl so will wait but i doubt they will grow but it was worth a try lol

I think im going to now wait till the weather warms up and try again with another fresh pinaple.
regards
Steve icon_thumleft

I got the orignal plant from a greenhouse as a small top. when I rooted my top I stripped the lower leaves on it. cut into the main stem till there were tiny brown roots in the bottom and let it sit in a flower vase full of water till roots had taken. they both are in a very sandy mix and only get water 3-4 times in the summer. also helps that our temps are so high here as well.
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Stevie the secret to germinate a pinapple is really easy , you must find the victoria variety ,
wich is the one with toothed leaves , I`ve tryed many time with the normal pinapple from the local supermarket and always failed then find 3 victoria pinapple down the asian shop and they just grown with no problem at all .

Ps did you ever try the lemon grass ?/???
real_ale

Post by real_ale »

Suttons seeds early summer catalogue come today and with James Wong's homegrown revolution catalogue and in it are:

Queenland Arrowroot - Canna indica and Dahlia Yams - Dahlia spp
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

this one is new to me as well , alocasia runners sold as vegetables ....

and also a strange discorea (soft yam)
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Hi Sal, those runners look like Colocasia runners to me… I don’t think Alocasia send out runners like that icon_scratch
Are you going to propagate them, it would be interesting to see what they look like as plants!
If you are going to propagate them I would use the same method used for propagating C.formosana runners.

Nice find icon_thumleft
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Kiwi Berry

Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I bought some kiwi berry fruits a while ago and they were amazing, very tempted by a plant. Actinidia arguta 'Issai' is the one, self fertile and hardy. Did you grow those Sal?

With regards to the pineapples, I was successful on the 2nd try. I took a standard supermarket pineapple, removed flesh, stripped leaves, left to dry for several days and planted in 50:50 perlite and compost. It rotted the first time because I assume I overwatered it. The second time around I gave it barely any water at all until it was well rooted. It's getting towards 3ft in diameter now, hoping for a magnificent fruit soon. :D
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Well my few eddoes realy have got going and here they are now outside for a week in the garden....

I would like to try some more when i can but these seem to be doing well for a start. icon_cheers

regards
Steve :)
rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

those are looking proppa good! So youve acclimatised them to life outside the fish tank then? :)

Mine were in pots for sometime in the conservatory, but nothing was happening. I moved them to sit on top of the boiler, and theyre sprouting like mad now. first couple of leaves forming on three of them. I may put them in the conservatory in a few days. Hope mine turn out as good.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Fine job steve mine just keep rotting on me.
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Stevie great job , they do look good
those are few of mine , differently from the main food chains supplyer , my local asian shop will have different variety every week , that means all different variety , different shape and color

stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Looking good sal. icon_thumleft They do look great Mine all seem to be the same sort not much difrence apart from the smaller bulbs being smaller looking plants lol. I would like a few difrent types.

I planted up the arrow root i got but it never grew just turned to mush. :( Ive not seen anything new at all of interest recently either :-(

Yeah mine are aclimatized now they have been out side for a week and a bit and seem to be fine. Im hoping to get the bed dug between the tiki hut frame and the pond over the next few days ready for were they will be planted.

When can they be planted out in the ground? would it be ok now or should I wait a bit?

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

I bought some a few weeks back and used Yorkshire kris's bag method and all 6 have shoots, so I've potted up 5, put 4 in the greenhouse and left 1 indoors, the other has been planted directly into a new border, so lets see what happens.