Braithwell Nurseries purchases

Tom and Shell

Braithwell Nurseries purchases

Post by Tom and Shell »

Went to see Phil @ Braithwell Nurseries in Maltby on Sunday, got a few nice bargains.
Seems such a shame that he thinks he wont be around for much longer, i was his first sale of the weekend!
Would be such a shame to loose a garden centre that actually sells plants and not a bunch of cheap tat.
Attachments
Arundo Donax Versicolour £9
Arundo Donax Versicolour £9
euphorbia mellifera £7
euphorbia mellifera £7
yucca rostrata £8
yucca rostrata £8
aeonium schwarzkopf £4
aeonium schwarzkopf £4
Red Banana £15
Red Banana £15
call

Re: Braithwell Nurseries purchases

Post by call »

some really good bargins there icon_thumright
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I want to go to that nursery and buy what you have :shock: Lovely plants at great prices..
lee1125

Post by lee1125 »

I went last week for the first time,spent ages walking round,he has a lot of plants :lol:

Defo go again, there were quite a few plants i would like to try and really good prices.

I just came away with two cordylines £5 each, i would have had a lot more but he couldnt accept creadit cards that day and i had no cash on me :oops:
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

lee1125 wrote:I went last week for the first time,spent ages walking round,he has a lot of plants :lol:

Defo go again, there were quite a few plants i would like to try and really good prices.

I just came away with two cordylines £5 each, i would have had a lot more but he couldnt accept creadit cards that day and i had no cash on me :oops:
I think the machine is fixed now Lee
lee1125

Post by lee1125 »

Tom and Shell wrote:
lee1125 wrote:I went last week for the first time,spent ages walking round,he has a lot of plants :lol:

Hopefully i will be able to find it easier next time, i got myself a bit lost down the little lanes lol

Next time im going to take a list as he says he will more than likely have most things that people would want.

I was going to buy a big Trachycarpus when i was there but ended up getting a decent one from B&Q yesterday so no room for another one now.
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

lee1125 wrote:
Tom and Shell wrote:

Hopefully i will be able to find it easier next time, i got myself a bit lost down the little lanes lol

Next time im going to take a list as he says he will more than likely have most things that people would want.

I was going to buy a big Trachycarpus when i was there but ended up getting a decent one from B&Q yesterday so no room for another one now.
was it the one at £125? if so that is a real beauty. would like that myself 8)
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Good looking plants at bargain prices icon_thumright
lee1125

Post by lee1125 »

Yeah it was the big one at £125, looked a decent sized palm for the price.
waggy1

Post by waggy1 »

Thanks for the drawing my attention to the nursery and the pictures of plant purchases. I am hoping to get there soon.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Very nice, healthy selection of exotics......some good prices as well icon_thumleft
Lys

Post by Lys »

Grats on the great bargains and lovely plants! Wish I was near enough to visit that nursery.
Andy M

Post by Andy M »

I visited this nursery earlier this week and was amazed by the number of unusual plants he had for sale. Hard to believe this place is only 10 mins from me and I never knew it existed! Came back with all sorts which I've never seen in any other local nurseries.
He did say though that he may not be there much longer, which would be a great shame as it offers plants you cant buy anywhere else locally and some good advice to go with it. Its well worth a visit if you're considering going there!
pdid

Post by pdid »

Your lucky to have somewhere like that close. The Garden centres round here are full of overpriced tat. Even my local nursery, which I have bought regularly from over the past few years, is now just buy in and sell on at vastly inflated prices.

It seems the days of nurserys growing their own stock to sell is dying and the commercial Dutch greenhouse is taking over :(
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

pdid wrote:Your lucky to have somewhere like that close. The Garden centres round here are full of overpriced tat. Even my local nursery, which I have bought regularly from over the past few years, is now just buy in and sell on at vastly inflated prices.

It seems the days of nurserys growing their own stock to sell is dying and the commercial Dutch greenhouse is taking over :(
I completely agree. I guess its the recession but gone are the days of decent plants at reasonable prices with the exception of places like Amulree and Nigel, although sadly I can't get to visit them as they are too far. I use to have a superb garden centre near me (Dicksonia antarctica's at £20 a foot, massive palms etc etc) but they have sold out to the mass rubbish, and now sell the "exotics" as stupidly high prices, plus the quality has also fallen icon_scratch
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.