Fatsia

kracker

Fatsia

Post by kracker »

One of my fatsias 4-5ft has taken a hit over winter it did survive the last three winters ? the top half of the fatsia leaves has collapsed so will i need to strip it back or cut the trunk back icon_sunny
Blairs

Re: Fatsia

Post by Blairs »

kracker wrote:One of my fatsias 4-5ft has taken a hit over winter it did survive the last three winters ? the top half of the fatsia leaves has collapsed so will i need to strip it back or cut the trunk back icon_sunny
Mine has done the same. All the damage was the late spring frosts. Still some droopy looking leaves and some back spots...and that is 3 weeks since the last frost. One has almost defoliated but was a seedling.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Mines the same, with spotty leave's, ive cut it back HARD, took all the spotty and pale droopy leave's off, mainly on one side but im hopefull, it has nice big fat buds..
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Mine took a bad hit a few years ago, so cut it back hard and looks a picture of health now icon_thumleft

These are really hardy plants and can take low temperatures. Here's a picture of mine when it got badly hit . A smaller one I had took the same treatment and bounced back too.
Picture 1538 [640x480].jpg
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

all the grow points on one of my big ones rotted in march.
on these plants in this family the rot will often slowly travel down if left to fend for itself so I prune off the rotted top.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Just cut back any dead and/or rotting areas and it will bounce back. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Just cut back any dead and/or rotting areas and it will bounce back. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kracker

Post by kracker »

Tom2006 wrote:Just cut back any dead and/or rotting areas and it will bounce back. icon_thumleft
Thanks guys will cut back tomorrow ,i say Thanks guys will cut back tomorrow :lol: tom
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

concur my mums did the same in 2010, lopped the tops off and its a monster today :D
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

My fatsia lost one of its growing points but it seems ok.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

This is the 2010 one which got knocked back, taken today