Eddoes and other eatable plants?

rajah99

Re: Eddoes and other eatable plants?

Post by rajah99 »

I have a alocasia mayan mask which was growing well all last year in the conservatory. It actually kept growing till around late november, and then stopped growing. The temps never went below 12c in the conservatory. Even though temps have been hitting the 20-30c for a number of weeks now, it only just started growing again in the last few days. So i wouldnt be tempted to put these kind of plants outdoors just yet. They might stop growing and not start again for ages.
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

The soil is still too cold , I would wait at least mid may or as soon as it warm up
plus as it too cold will mnot grow in size , is better wait and plant a bigger plant .

Stevie , did you see the alocasia runner I got ? they started to grow , got the first 5 out , will post few picture as soon as they will grow a bit .
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Sal73 wrote:Stevie , did you see the alocasia runner I got ? they started to grow , got the first 5 out , will post few picture as soon as they will grow a bit .

No didnt see them I will look forward to your pics icon_thumleft

Regards
Steve icon_thumleft
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

They have been outside constantly for well over a week now. but i supose there still in there pots and up on the raised pond edge so I supose the sun iw warming though there pots nicly during the day. I will keep them potted then till it realy warms up befor i think about planting them out.

Just another thought what do they like full sun patial shade? Some places say they do well in full sun while other sites say they like shade? So where would be best?

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Sal73 wrote:this one is new to me as well , alocasia runners sold as vegetables ....

and also a strange discorea (soft yam)

those strange long veg are alocasia or colocasia runners , actually sold as veg ......will post a picture as soon as
the leaves will appear just to have an Id
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

very odd looking thing how do you plant them do the have roots? yet another thing ive not seen befor lol :lol:

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

I was just following an old thread , from the forum , Dave Brown done it , work really well
but don`t know what will I get .
as soon as will grow up a bit will try to get an ID

rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

Well those edoes and colocasia i planted certainly seem to be doing well in the hot weather in the conservatory!
Im afraid the colocasia, which i placed in the fish pond, is going to take over everything! it wont stop growing!! fell over a couple of times, ive kept it in a small pot, but its just growing the roots outside and saying i dont need soil mate, water is just fine!
my edoe... have another which sprouted more leaves than this one.
my edoe... have another which sprouted more leaves than this one.
alocasian maya mask. bought it last year, growing slowly.
alocasian maya mask. bought it last year, growing slowly.
colocasia coco. going mental in the pond.
colocasia coco. going mental in the pond.
colocasia roots... theyre just jumping out..
colocasia roots... theyre just jumping out..
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Looking great! My eddies planted I. The garden although not very big they do look nice growing in groups either side of my tiki hut.

Your myan mask is looking great too I'd love one of them they do look the part. I was going to try one of my eddies in the pond but forgot lol mabe next year ;-)

Regards
Steve ;-)