Cycas flush....or not!

Birmingham Chris

Cycas flush....or not!

Post by Birmingham Chris »

There are a few posts on here about getting these to flush - pretty much all of the ones I've seen relate to drenching them at certain times. I have tried this for 2 years with mine, but to no avail and it hasn't mattered much as the old leaves have stayed in really good condition. But this year they have all turned to straw, so drastic measures are needed!

I have read in a couple of places that cutting all the leaves off will stimulate a flush so intend to do this, but wanted to check if anyone was going to scream 'NO!' at this idea before I do it. Gogglebox has also mentioned that their cycas is looking a bit yellow, so I am sure there are more of us out there who would appreciate some help!

Cheers
Deedee

Re: Cycas flush....or not!

Post by Deedee »

Happy you asked this question Chris as one of mine is yellow but i checked it this morning and i THINK its flushing, Dragged the hub out to take a look, im that excited :mrgreen: Im going to take a pic to put up.
Birmingham Chris

Post by Birmingham Chris »

lol! mine has looked like it is about to flush for years, but it builds me up, only to let me down again!!

I wish you better luck with yours! :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

I have a Cycad with a nice trunk,

I may make a garden feature with it after three years its not flushed.

:lol: :lol:
multim

Post by multim »

I have found that they flush when good and ready. I have one planted outside for 7 years and it will reliably flush each year in June.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I wouldn`t cut all the leaves off unless they are dead. As long as they still have some green on them then they are still working to make energy for the plant. Cutting anything green off can do more harm than good i think. Personally i find they flush when they are good and ready.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

In my limited experience I have found that once the leaves start to turn yellow its a good sign they are ready.

Watering every day with a litre of 40c water helps them along.

I am currently trying this with my Cycas Circinalis after getting 2 of my Revoluta to flush last year with this method.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Keeping the pot totally submerged in a bucket of water, so the water is about level with the base of the caudex, for a few days makes they think they have been in their monsoon season, so causes them to naturally flush (as they would do this in the wild). I'd wait until warmer weather to do it though...
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I tried that last year Gogs, but just the once :? I didn't realise i should of done it every day :roll:
Anyway i dont think its flushing, they are more like dry spikey things :oops:

Its really yellow.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Deedee wrote: Anyway i dont think its flushing, they are more like dry spikey things
Dee, sounds like you're refering to the cataphylls which are modified, hardened leaves which protect the meristem and the new underlying fronds. When you see movement on the cataphylls, its very likely a flush is close. Also look out for the existing fronds to drop to a lower position , which is another indicator. I don't believe yellowing of the fronds is. I had a couple of flushes last year and have one currently on a tiny , tiny revo pup. I think mine were brought on by the heat of the greenhouse and regular waterings of rainwater / weak feed over the caudex. Personally, i don't subscribe to the dunking method .

Here's one of mine flushing on the bench last year, also had a big flush on my Cycas circinalis at the same time.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmKKhFCwBqA.

kite567

Post by kite567 »

I've had some success in the past by feeding them with a liquid lawn fertiliser ie a high nitrogen feed.

It's certainly not guaranteed to work though.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Magnificent, Arlon!

Mine hasn't flushed since I bought it 1.5 years ago. I chopped off the last leaf over a month ago now after it fully died off. It has grown some serious roots in the meantime which I presume are still growing healthily.

I think I'll water in some extra bloodmeal and pop it in the airing cupboard out of the way til I see some movement. Right now it kind of looks like I've stuck a pine cone in a pot. :lol: If not I've got a seedling each of revoluta and panzhihuaensis coming on quite nicely.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Thanks Arlon, ill keep an eye on the Cataphylls, I learn something new here every day. Brilliant, Yours is an Excellent example of how a Cycad should look here in the UK icon_thumleft
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Will be putting my sickly looking ones in a blowaway greenhouse and keep it zipped up and fry them to force flushes.this worked a few yers ago so its time to have another go.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

If its any help, the average "air" temp in my greenhouse when my cycads flushed last year was 31.6 deg. (July) I would imagine with them on the bench in full sun it probably felt at least double that. Based on that i'd say get them in a g/h or under a cloche . I'm hoping for a couple more flushes on some others this year , probably july(ish) again.

Hopefully we'll have a good summer and the big macrozamia moorei will put another spurt on as well ...