Todays Gorden Rigg haul...

cordyman

Todays Gorden Rigg haul...

Post by cordyman »

Returned to Gordon Riggs today, but went to the HQ @ Todmordon, far bigger than Rochdale and a lot more choice. Everything was labelled up meticulously. Got some questions dotted throughout thread too if anyone can help icon_scratch icon_salut

Heres what I picked up, came to around £30...

plastic crates were only 50p-£1, great for hauling stuff about the garden...

Is Calidora a good Alocasia for leaf size? I picked up three, great price I thought... They are bone dry in the pots, I thought they need keeping wet?

Osteospermum Pink Spoon + Purple Spoon

Aeonium to replace my dead one...

My first Heucherella's "stoplight" + "Sugar Plum"

Passion Flower, will this grow well over Ivy? Foliage is great and the flowers look gorgeous

Got these two little alpines, loved the flowers, will stick them in my back rocky border...

Sure i've seen this in Mr L's garden, but the label didnt instill any confidence about it surviving outdoors, so gave it a miss..

Corneitious Icicus Ficus Crystal

Last edited by cordyman on Sat May 11, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
paulrm71

Re: Todays Gorden Rigg haul...

Post by paulrm71 »

Very nice haul, those alocasia's will produce some massive leaves after a few years i expect. My favourite pic has to be the ultra rare chipius sandwichius plant, very rarely seen and often not around for more than a couple of minutes!
kata

Post by kata »

Verrrrrry nice cordy!

My favorite are the Alpines and the Osteospermum Pink Spoon + Purple Spoon.

:mrgreen:
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I think u`ll find that`s not a chipius sandwichius Paul but a chipius Bapiatii. :lol:

Some great prices there Cordy. If those are your first Heucherella's then i`d recommend you watch out for the slugs and snails. I bought a load of these last year and they`ve been eaten to bits. Out of interest - how much did you pay for them? I saw some in B&Q yesterday but they were asking about 7 quid each for them :shock: Need i say, i left them where they were.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Andy P wrote:I think u`ll find that`s not a chipius sandwichius Paul but a chipius Bapiatii. :lol:

Some great prices there Cordy. If those are your first Heucherella's then i`d recommend you watch out for the slugs and snails. I bought a load of these last year and they`ve been eaten to bits. Out of interest - how much did you pay for them? I saw some in B&Q yesterday but they were asking about 7 quid each for them :shock: Need i say, i left them where they were.

They were £5.99 Andy, so probably a little overpriced, but all the small pots you can see were only £1-£2, so that made up for it I guess. icon_scratch

Thanks for the slug tip, i'll get loads of pellets down. Was spoiled for choice on them so many different colours and varients!
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

Great haul Cordy. Those Alocasia look bloomin' cheap and healthy. And yes I thought Alocasia had to be constatnly moist during the summer.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

What a bargin......I am we'll jell
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Now that is my kind of shopping trip!! icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i'd have bought all those alocasia at that price! :shock:

would do just as bedding if nothing else.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Oh perfect day out :wink: , all thats missing is the Tomatois saucis :lol:
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Blimey some of those were cheap :shock:

All the GC round here are blutty expensive!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Mr List wrote:i'd have bought all those alocasia at that price! :shock:

would do just as bedding if nothing else.

The thought did cross my mind for a moment, but only had a £30 budget yesterday :lol: Need payday!

Is that Schefflera one you have in youre border? icon_scratch

Trudytropics wrote:Oh perfect day out :wink: , all thats missing is the Tomatois saucis :lol:
Yeah I said that to the missus, the bap has drank all the vineger, needs more saucis! :lol: :lol:

Delboy wrote:Blimey some of those were cheap :shock:

All the GC round here are blutty expensive!
Didnt know about this place until last week when I got my car serviced and killed some time in the Rochdale branch! I can see myself spending many Saturday mornings driving out to it, coffee on deck, and wondering round for hours! The missus started to complain towards the end of the 3.5 hour browse yesterday :shock: and thats coming from me who hates browsing round shops! :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nice buys!

You're obviously more confident than I am about planting. At the moment I am only putting guaranteed bone hardy stuff like mature and semi mature palms in the ground. I'd be keeping most of that haul in a greenhouse or conservatory at the moment.

Love the chip buttie and ice cream pics, essential garden centre day out refreshment!

:lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

cordyman wrote:
Is that Schefflera one you have in youre border? icon_scratch

nope
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Nice buys!

You're obviously more confident than I am about planting. At the moment I am only putting guaranteed bone hardy stuff like mature and semi mature palms in the ground. I'd be keeping most of that haul in a greenhouse or conservatory at the moment.

Love the chip buttie and ice cream pics, essential garden centre day out refreshment!

:lol:

Keeping the Aeonium and Calidora's in the porch, everything else is on the steps enjoying the rain right now :lol: