Amulree UJ etc Haul

photonbucket

Amulree UJ etc Haul

Post by photonbucket »

Visited Simon and Liz today. So lucky to be within touching distance of these guys.

But first, here is my version of the recent "Triffid" thread. Do I win? I hope so! I bought this last September and it turned up about a six weeks ago. Slowest delivery ever from my local tropical orintated garden centre. (Evergreens in Beccles).

Simon has some lovely palms over at Amulree. I was mainly interested in tender plants for my recent project.

See here for project: http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 35&t=19855

Here are some of the plants I found of interest at Amulree (Sorry I didn't note the species on some occasions).

Nice Alocasia with unusual leaf shape and colour..

I believe this is Alocasia Portadora...

Massive Philodendron. Simon had 2 for £200 each, one of which is already sold. I figured these grow fairly quickly (am I right?), so probably worth spending the money on a slower growing plant and getting a smaller one of these.

The Dypsis Decaryi looked fantastic. There were at least 3-4 of these, along with several Fish Tail Palms. My worry with this was that it would be too humid and wet overwinter in my 'biome'.

Nice, but not big enough for my plans....

My haul results from UJ, Homebase and Taverham Garden Centre. I also preordered two Archrontopheonix from Simon at Amulree....

And some of the plants randomly thrown into the living wall in their pots. Just to get an idea...

Adam D

Re: Amulree UJ etc Haul

Post by Adam D »

That living wall is a really good idea.

It looks great at the moment and will look even better when it is properly planted up.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

One day I would love to try and make a living wall, really are a sight to behold!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would not mind on of the C Brownii that are for sale.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

fern Rob wrote:I would not mind on of the C Brownii that are for sale.
Amulree does 50% off in the Autumn ... if you aren't in a hurry?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Kristen wrote:
Amulree does 50% off in the Autumn ... if you aren't in a hurry?
No rush, just think they a great fern that you don't normally come across.
pdid

Post by pdid »

He generally has a 50% weekend around the end of July too icon_thumright

Some nice plants and an interesting project, I look forward to seeing the finished results icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Wow Tom, your Triffid is a Chamaerops and a half :lol: about as big as mine but with developed pups icon_thumright I also love the living wall idea, and an epiphyte version will be quite a sight. I can just imagine a Bromeliad and Orchid wall icon_thumright Will Giles is heavily into Bromeliads, so if you need any advice on those he's the guy to speak to.

Are you setting up an East Anglian Eden ?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Steph »

Bide your time and you'll get lots more than that at 50%......
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Oooooooof I think that Triffid would test the limits of my 250kg rated sack truck! LOL

Great haul! is a lot of this stuff conservatory/indoor, or will it be ok outside once june arrives?
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Nice plants!

I really like that Dypsis, I had a seedling but it's ceased to exist. :(
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Steph wrote:
Bide your time and you'll get lots more than that at 50%......
It is one for the plant wish list this year.
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

In all seriousness, I would like to make an Eden Of The East in the next 3-5 years. I need to find a property to placate the wife and have a serious amount of land. Then I will be looking to make both arid and tropical biomes.

As for the current crop, they are all strictly for growing in the mini biome. My major issue at the moment is irrigation systems. I need to mist in order to increase humidity, preferably from overhead. But I live in a hard water area and I don't want white deposits all over the leaves. Bit stuck in this one!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

photonbucket wrote:But I live in a hard water area and I don't want white deposits all over the leaves. Bit stuck in this one!
Rainwater tank? Assuming you have enough roof area to collect from. Ugly things though, and horrifically expensive if you want an underground one. Only mildly expensive :lol: if you can hide/camouflage an above-ground curved-corrugated-sheet one.