My new T-rex plants ... will they survive?

Dim

My new T-rex plants ... will they survive?

Post by Dim »

a year ago, I planted a T-rex in a client's garden ...

It has done well, and even though unprotected during winter, it now stands over a meter tall, with several huge leaves, and new leaves forming every week ...

a few weeks ago, I spotted a few pups approx a meter away, so today, I removed them with the intention of planting 4 at my own home .... very little roots came out, but I have planted the 2 (with a bit of side roots) in my garden, and managed to get another 4 which I planted in pots ....

as they have no side roots, will they survive? .... they have already 'flopped' but I only planted/potted them 2 hrs ago

Leigh

Re: My new T-rex plants ... will they survive?

Post by Leigh »

I'm no expert on these Dim but pups can be it or miss, I would certainly reduce some top growth to give them time to grow more roots
Leigh
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I've had a few pups like that , Dim. I've always removed the top growth ( as Leigh says) and left only the small emerging leaf in the center. Most survive but it does take a while .
Dim

Post by Dim »

thanks for that ... I will remove the side growth and see what happens .... the potted ones are on a windowsill that gets strong sunlight from early morning till noon (i.e. when the sun does shine)

if they don't take, I will buy 4
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dim wrote:if they don't take, I will buy 4
Might be worth trying some root cuttings? There is a thread on here where Dave put some straight lengths of root in a seed tray just covered with a little compost and little T Rex's sprung up all along their length :)
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

mine have never pupped!! how is this..
Dim

Post by Dim »

Kristen wrote:
Dim wrote:if they don't take, I will buy 4
Might be worth trying some root cuttings? There is a thread on here where Dave put some straight lengths of root in a seed tray just covered with a little compost and little T Rex's sprung up all along their length :)
thanks Kristen ... I've seen that thread with the root cuttings and bookmarked it .... I took the pups as in the garden where they grew, there is only space for 1 T-rex

I have not cut the side growth off yet, and will wait a day or 2 to see what happens ...
Dim

Post by Dim »

parkeey wrote:mine have never pupped!! how is this..
the neighbours cat used that area as a toilet, and scratched/dug the soil, so most probably damaged the roots which causes new pups (as far as I understand)
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

lol
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I just got a 4ft one from Brian the other day ( steroidial giant type ) and we took all the leaves off except the new one comming out to make sure it would take.
Dim

Post by Dim »

miketropic wrote:I just got a 4ft one from Brian the other day ( steroidial giant type ) and we took all the leaves off except the new one comming out to make sure it would take.
thanks .... I will wait until tommorow pm, and if the side leaves are still floppy, I will remove them ... all of the plants have a small central leaf forming, which are still standing up straight, so hopefully, most will take
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dim wrote:I will wait until tommorow pm, and if the side leaves are still floppy, I will remove them
I wouldn't wait Dim, I'd take them off. They are transpiring water that there are insufficient roots to "drink" up, and that will weaken the plants. There's enough stored energy in the stem (as a cutting would have) to tide it over. Keep it out of direct light - in some bright shade, and preferably mist it several times a day if you can.
Dim

Post by Dim »

Kristen wrote:
Dim wrote:I will wait until tommorow pm, and if the side leaves are still floppy, I will remove them
I wouldn't wait Dim, I'd take them off. They are transpiring water that there are insufficient roots to "drink" up, and that will weaken the plants. There's enough stored energy in the stem (as a cutting would have) to tide it over. Keep it out of direct light - in some bright shade, and preferably mist it several times a day if you can.
Thanks Kristen ... I checked them this morning and all the large leaves were still floppy, so I removed all the leaves except the newest cenntral one. I also watered with some stuff called "Dutch Pro Take Root", and misted with biobizz alga-mic (algae and seaweed extract)... I won't be able to mist during the day as I am working all day
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dim wrote:I won't be able to mist during the day as I am working all day
I was going to suggest covering with a plastic bag, but I am pretty sure I have done that before and they didn't like the condensation at all. But someone else could perhaps confirm / deny that, as the Plastic Bag method is what I use for all cuttings to save me having to be around to mist them all the time .... I really REALLY must build a misting bench this year. Promise myself one every year!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Even if they have some root, you need to treat them as cuttings, removing all leaves except the emerging fist. Put in well drained compost and keep moist, then put in shade. They don't need heat, but prefer high humidity and no sun at all until showing signs of growth :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright