Clematis Armandii and Passiflora climbers - rapid decline :(

Post by cordyman »

Any suggestions on how to save them, cause icon_scratch :cry: :cry:

Passiflora leaves so wilted and brittle in a week, its lost its leave rigidity

Armandii major leaf browning and wilt

Dim

Re: Clematis Armandii and Passiflora climbers - rapid declin

Post by Dim »

how long have these been in the ground? .... and what have you fertilized with?
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I know it sounds like a 'have you switched it on' question, but have you watered it recently?

If so, then it might be something munching the roots?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

around a week, and watered them a lot. icon_scratch

Gave them a light dose of miracle grow too.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Strange that your brunnera jack frost appears to be doing the same too icon_scratch

Some of the lower leaves on my armandii are brown, but not as bad as yours and the rest of the plant is thriving.

Maybe yours have scorched in the sun,it was plobably in a greenhouse until recently. Weve had a lot of sun since you planted it.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

It gets sun from 8am, till 2pm approx icon_sunny

passiflora at its current size doesnt get that much sun as needs to stretch its legs over the ivy
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Is it possible the Ivy is basically squeezing the life out of it.. in USA Ivy is considered a major nuisance because it kills plants and trees without the resistance to it. Here the native plants have developed a certain amount of resistance to Ivy?
Dim

Post by Dim »

if they have only been planted for a week, it may be sun damage ... and they are not fully hardy yet (possibly, they came out of a greenhouse and are experiencing their first blast of full sun)

also, I hope that you have not used weedkiller recently (since planting) .... or your neighbour using weedkiller? (don't laugh, I tend to a garden where the neighbour sprayed roundup on anything thet creeped onto her side of the back fence)

I would wait a while, then cut them back to the ground and wait for the new growth .... both grow quick, both are hardy, and the passiflora in a garden that I look after is staring to grow rapidly now ....

I have an Armandii in another garden, and it has been growing fast for the past 2 months, but will slow down in the next few weeks ....

and don't overwater ... rather water every 2-3 days, but water deep .... as they settle in, water less frequently, but make sure that everytime you water, you water deep

I planted a passiflora constance elliot (the one with the pure white flowers) yesterday in my own garden that I bought from a carboot sale .... it had loads of open flowers, and tonight, half of them are closed... they are in full sun for most of the day ... they take a few days to settle
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Dig them up and take them back to where you bought them Cordy, plants are under guarantee, same as other stuff :) Tell them you are a seasoned gardener and planted them in the right conditions, should get your money back, they are faulted goods..
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I think that evergreen Clematis lose some leaves each year anyway before some new fresh leaves appear?

Although evergreen, leaves are still slowly replaced.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

They have been frosted/exposed / not hardened off, take your pick, but basically should have been got used to outside more slowly.

You can't buy something that's been raised in a greenhouse and come home and just plant it, (there is no way a Passiflora Constance Elliott should have flower buds on it for another month or more). they probable wont die, just take longer to get going. Go to proper nurseries!

When planting a climber near established plants its always a good idea to provide additional watering, cut the top and bottom off a plastic bottle and put it in the planting hole so you can water down to the roots.When watering go for lots of water infrequently rather than a dribble every day, this will keep the plant happy while it is trying to grow a new root system
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Thanks guys , they were both from greenhouses. I think sun shock on the armandii as its had hot sun since friday.

The passiflora is quite shaded but i did water it in a lot. I have since read they like excellent drainage and do well planted in builders rubble! Im going to dig it out tonight to try and rescue current growth. Paid 15 quid each for them as they had so much healthy height to get me started. Gutted I may lose it all. I may try and dry it out back in a pot in he shaded side passage.

I'd love to take them back dee but think I'm to blame on these lol

More damage on these two than he entire garden has taken all winter and cold spring :oops:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Your thoughts guys...

Dug out the Passiflora, moisture in the rootball...

This millipede? fell out the rootball, a concern?

Repotted into mix of 20mm gravel, 10mm gravel, perlite, and dry compost.

Potted up again, looking worse for wear...

Hole where the passiflora was planted, too wet?

Rootball of the clematis, too wet?

flounder

Post by flounder »

It's a centipede, no problem. I'd say leaf scorch due to lack of acclimatisation. No biggie. Accustom plants for outside growth. Just bad luck summer arrived! :wink:
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Excessive watering possibly