The Quadrology - Cerifera joins pack!

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I'm doing well this year, first time i've had palms flower

1. Cordy in May
2. Chammy Vulcano in May
3. Chammy Humilis in June icon_cheers

I only planted this recently after I bought it from homebase!

Also why did the previous flowers have stalks which you can see the dead remains of, and now the flowers are spathes?
Last edited by cordyman on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B19bst

Re: Chammy Humilis flowering! the trilogy!

Post by B19bst »

I have just bought one and its got a flower.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

very nice I have yet to have any palm flower over here.. just curious When I see pics of alot of members gardens in the UK they have no mulch..is that just what everyone does or is mulch very expensive? maybe its an american thing cus EVERYTHING gets mulch over here.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Cats use as litter tray, birds chuck on grass for a lot of people lol

I mulch my bamboo though.
multim

Post by multim »

No Mike, applying a mulch used to be very much promoted by gardening programmes when we used to get long hot summers. As those days now appear to be just a dim and distant memory, there is less emphasis on applying a top dressing of mulch, be it chipped bark or dyed woodchips.
I do not know how expensive bark mulch is in the US, but here in the UK it's similarly priced to potting compost if bought by the bag. In bulk, of course it is much cheaper.
A few years ago, there was a bagged mulch available which consisted of spent cocoa bean shells. This was rather nice as it became sticky when wet and bonded together and had a fragrance of chocolate!
Grass clippings on bamboo culms is effectual and free.
Sorry, rather gone off-topic............
Palms in flower;
Trachycarpus F, Trachycarpus W, Chamearops H, Chamearops H Cerifera.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Your lucky cordy, still waiting for one of my palms to flower.
I've seen some for sale in flower but that's cheating :lol:

Can they flower at any age?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

None of my chammy's flowering this year, although the large multitrunk outfront is starting to show emerging flower spathes, nearly all my large trachys are all in full fower though. karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Whats the crack with the spathes then, do they become the stalks with seed on as I can see from a previous flower further down the trunk?

Could I cross my Vulcano with this using a cotton bud?
multim

Post by multim »

Some spathes are duds. That is, some are empty. Yours bought from Homebase would probably have come from warmer climes, Italy or Spain where is been warmer than the UK. You will probably find that this is the last time your Chamearops will flower for a few years as it will concentrate its energy in forming a good root system.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I'm doing well this year, first time i've had palms flower

1. Cordy in May
2. Chammy Vulcano in May
3. Chammy Humilis in June icon_cheers
4. Chammy Cerifera tonight >>>

Will this open up like a duck beak? it looks so different to my Humilis?

multim wrote:Some spathes are duds. That is, some are empty. Yours bought from Homebase would probably have come from warmer climes, Italy or Spain where is been warmer than the UK. You will probably find that this is the last time your Chamearops will flower for a few years as it will concentrate its energy in forming a good root system.

I hope not :(
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

*doublepost*
Last edited by cordyman on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karl66

Re: The Quadrology - Cerifera joins pack!

Post by karl66 »

My big multitrunk hummilis is flowering out the front now & tonight ive noticed the recent cerifica from palmcentre is throwing up loads of flower pouch's!, in my limited experience the flowers stay more upright than a Trachycarpus would?. karl.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have seen a few C Hummilis in flower but no others this year, in my area.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

It looks like my favourite two cerifera have pollinated each other and as they have been kept together isolated in one of my greenhouses with the only other flowering chammy being a vulcano in their( the vulcano flowered about a week after the cerifera started to flower) looks like I have got massive bunches of viable cerifera seed ( pics to follow ). Loads of my other chammy have flowered again this year and I seem to find when they start to flower they flower every year thereafter icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

karl66 wrote:My big multitrunk hummilis is flowering out the front now & tonight ive noticed the recent cerifica from palmcentre is throwing up loads of flower pouch's!, in my limited experience the flowers stay more upright than a Trachycarpus would?. karl.

flower pouch, i've learnt something new tonight, I was calling those spathes. :oops: Its the spathes which come out of the pouch icon_scratch