Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant' flowering

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant' flowering

Post by Dave Brown »

Reputedly not the easiest Colocasia to grow, but undoubtedly can be the biggest. They do seem to need a modicum of warmth, so has been in my Lunar Module/Tropical Island, away from out sub standard temperatures. Today, for at least one day, we have summer, so it is having an outing :D

Leaves are not huge yet, the largest being 60cm x 49cm, and it is being hampered by flowering (leaf size held back), but if I'm lucky I could get seed :wink: Once flowering has finished leaf size will improve again, I hope. :)
Attachments
Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'
Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'
Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant' flowers
Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant' flowers
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant' flowering

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I take my hat off to you. Not only have you got it through winter but you've got it to flower! Well done!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I take my hat off to you. Not only have you got it through winter but you've got it to flower! Well done!
Thanks Kris. It did struggle a bit with our ever ending winter, and spring from hell, but I think the main problem people will have is it's size. The leaves aren't something you can easily tie up.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Did you keep it in leaf through the winter, Dave? That might take up a lot of space.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

GREVILLE wrote:Did you keep it in leaf through the winter, Dave? That might take up a lot of space.
I have 2, and this one did stay in leaf, but nowhere near the size it is now. The layout of the plant is that the leaf does not hang down like most Colocaisa, so even with only 60cm leaves, as now, the plant is about 1.5m across.

The 2nd plant died back and needed to be started off in heat, It is quite a bit smaller.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GaryW »

Wow, impressive ! icon_salut
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

How big of a pot can you carry??? :D

Probably need a lot more room for roots..... to increase the leaf size while flowering.

Mine is in the ground here and a bout the same size...they really love the heat,
especially warm nights,when we are in the upper 70s to 80F some nights here
during the summer this thing will go absolutely nuts-not fun human weather
but super for T.G.'s

We have had a cool spring here but the warmth is on the way-can't wait to
see what it will do this year!

Nice plant Dave! icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Mines doing OK......I have took the plundge and planted it out a week ago as it was looking sad....and since then its reaaly perked up and has nearly pushed out a new leaf in a week :D
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:Mines doing OK......I have took the plundge and planted it out a week ago as it was looking sad....and since then its reaaly perked up and has nearly pushed out a new leaf in a week :D
Strange as it may seem, I think you have had warmer weather than me Martin. Had really strong cold NE until yesterday
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

very nice Dave. they self pollinate pretty easy or you an try to do it yourself..you do have a rather large media to work with :lol: the heat is really cranking here and the thai is loveing it.add in all the fertilizer I give it and Im scared to see how big this thing
is going to get
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

well done Dave, looking good.. icon_thumleft I'd grow one but it would probably take up the width of my garden! :shock: :lol:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Mine is also growing well. Well in the polytunnel it gets easely 35 C or more.

Well when it gets bigger it will go to our tropical butterflygarden here.

Now still to small.

Alexander
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I hope mine is growing well but I do not know what it is like at the moment as I am still waiting for it to be delivered from amulree lol, but look forward to the challenge of growing it nice and big when it finally does arrive :)
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

JBALLY wrote:I hope mine is growing well but I do not know what it is like at the moment as I am still waiting for it to be delivered from amulree lol, but look forward to the challenge of growing it nice and big when it finally does arrive :)

I know things are diff over there but if it was late June and I was still waiting on an order I would be going insane..with your cool summers and short season it seems so late.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

It will be kept growing over winter, it is more about getting hold of a thai giant and a few other not so easy to get hold of colocasia rather than trying to get big leaves from them this year. I have got a few others variety of colocasia and alocasia to give me big leaves this season and they are doing ok :DD