Miketropics blog -- Spring is FINALLY here

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
miketropic

Miketropics blog -- Spring is FINALLY here

Post by miketropic »

Have been thinking of making a blog after reading some of the others as of late. I don't do to many projects but Im sure I can fill it with pics..if you could move this over Dave I will start on it later today..
Last edited by miketropic on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Tom2006

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by Tom2006 »

Will look forward to seeing it Mike! icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

well we had a bit of a downpour so as soon as I can get outside and Dave moves it over I will get to it.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

since there have been alot of views I guess I will go ahead and start and ave can move this whenever he feels like it.

I moved into this home a few years ago and although the yard looked ruff It had potential. I made a few raised bed and did alot of soil work last year and was really starting to be pleased with it. This year was suppose to be a banner year for my garden and a real jungle look and then my wife decided the neighborhood has gone down hill and wants to move. Instead of going with out a garden I decided to plant things as best I could and try to bulk things up and propagate more so when I do move I will have plenty to start with. Ive also let her know that I will not be moving again after this trip..with out with out her :lol: . I plan on making a sketch like Kris and putting together my ultimate garden..as soon as I figure out what the yard looks like.

SO on to the pictures.. forgive some of them. everything seems very unorganized to me since its not really my vision more of a plant steroid bed to get growth before the move (Which im not even sure when that will be ). Summer is in full swing with temps in the 30-32C range each day so lots of good growth. if you see something I didn't get a good picture of ask for one if you need a name of something and I know it I'll be glad to share it...never done a blog before so i hope this is how it works.

first around the yard

needle palm skirting the drive way ( only ground planted palm now )

hydrangia starting to bloom

bamboo leafing back out after a bad transplant dureing winter

Canna "Florence Vaghn" puting out flower spikes

Magnolia bloom comming to an end

Planted this majesty out as an annual but I am starting to like him. put out a few new spears already

The hardy hibiscus has topped 7ft but setting buds now so should be long

Musella with a few pups and a nice winter recovery

mix and match hostas around the trees in flower

part of a shade bed I have been working on..still needs work :lol: quality UK born fatsia in the back

the other half..empress wu in flower..the poor B lux hanging in there

my wife calls this the "imagination" garden due to the thought of my fake creek and not completing it..now you have to "imageine" what it would look like :lol:

Another shade bed I just threw together to get some things in the ground.he tree fern seems to like tit back there and the Edward needham Fatsia is showing signs of life

Meanest plant in my garden

Brug my grandmother made cuttings of and gave to me..planted out

A few colocasia by the back steps..mammoth, red stem, diamond head, black coral

other side of the step.. violet stem, black magic mini, lemon lime gecko, puckerd up

Around the shed

Back yard around the tree..some have been killed ff by the heat and sun but will return

another small bed in the back yard..seems to invite snakes for some reason

a cactus bed I threw together real quick one weekend

the tropicals bed

Thai putting on a show

couple nice leaves on the tetrapanix

beautiful cleo that has flowered once already

Canna "Omegas" should reach 15 ft by summers end

Siam with 2 P stems

Field of castor beans

Paulowina just starting to make a move

Cuban red has put on crazy growth in this heat

poor potted palm land...they will be so happy to get in the ground next year..I hope

Now I have a place to do all my updates and not clutter up the main board!.. def more to come as summer heats up
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

That's my kind of plantings. Love the colocasias and the Cannas. What does the garden look like overall?

It's a pain having to move and move all your valuable plants but if you have to move I would slow down on purchasing new plants as it all adds to the workload. icon_pirat

Can't wait for more pics. icon_salut
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:That's my kind of plantings. Love the colocasias and the Cannas. What does the garden look like overall?

It's a pain having to move and move all your valuable plants but if you have to move I would slow down on purchasing new plants as it all adds to the workload. icon_pirat

Its like a drug addict..just one more plant and I'll stop :lol: Are any of those I sent you still alive?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The Cyathea cooperi looks healthy, I think that it should be ok with the frond that failed as long has it didn't rot in the crown.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Some nice plants there Mike. I see you are growing Solanum Quitoense.... great plant :D .. I did a thread on this plant on Palms North forum. Your Tetrapanax leaves look great. I prefer the less lobed specimen than the more deeply lobed "Rex" form. As expected your Cannas are way ahead of mine, but then what I left in the ground are dead :roll:
Look forward to seeing more pics.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

That's a great collection, Mike icon_thumleft Make us green with envy with some more :mrgreen:
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Looking great mike, very nice and varied plant selection :)
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

thanks everyone..the cannas about to flower are hardy here and were out there all winter under mulch. the other were stored dry. which is why there so far ahead I assume.
I had a poppy flower this evening so I will post a pic of that tomm. supposed gigante type..its tiny :lol: . That tetrapanix is the "Steoidial Giant". I have another planted out I will take a pic of tomm. a board member sent it to me and said it originally came from Dave and is the Cornish Groove type..id love to have a collection of all the known types..Wheres that Mulu at Dave icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

After the insanleigh winds we just had I went to take a peek at everything. snapped a few pics off. really trying to stay curent on this and keep it updated through out summer.

White lava starting to flower...very ugly flower as well

Same plant has a stolen with conjoined twin leaves

Yellow Splash with a new leaf

First Florence Vaghn flower of the bunch

The new mammoth has a strange cupped form to it

Tallest Hosta flower I have ever had

Yucca also flowering

Poppie flower from the other morning

More as it happens...the thai got a good beating so I will wait and see what the new roller looks like when it opens for a pic.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

miketropic wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:That's my kind of plantings. Love the colocasias and the Cannas. What does the garden look like overall?

Its like a drug addict..just one more plant and I'll stop :lol: Are any of those I sent you still alive?
Yes the Zulu Mask is just about holding on. icon_thumright
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

RAIN DELAY on pics :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote:RAIN DELAY on pics :lol:
Its like watching the Cricket in UK :lol: