Any rodent damage in your garden?

Adam D

Any rodent damage in your garden?

Post by Adam D »

There are a lack of cats and other predators where I live and as a result there is a big mouse population around here.

Last year they chewed through my Veratrum nigrum and Begonia palmata. Both events jarred me off, but I think I had my revenge with the Veratrum as they are supposedly poisonous :evil: Bye, bye mouse!

I have had much mouse damage this year, but when it is cold the wee feckers come into my garage and I caught 18 of them over the winter.

They are out and about this year though. Earlier this month my youngest daughter and I saw one pinch some fallen bird feed when we were 10 feet away. Cheeky so and so!

I noticed this morning that they have started eating of my plants again as a young Hellebore had been decapitated :(

Do any of you suffer the same problems?
JBALLY

Re: Any rodent damage in your garden?

Post by JBALLY »

I do suffer with mice chewing things in the veg garden like round the tops of the odd beetroot or carrot but have not noticed any damage in the rest of the garden yet though, I do go on massive catching campaigns though when pea planting time comes around and this year my tally is already well into double figures.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I lost 10kg of floating dog biscuit and 5kg of vitalin to mice in the shed. I since have dealt with the problem and have not lost any more groundbait. It also helps now I make sure the lids are on tightly!
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

MOLES everywhere...when I can see them moving I dig them with a shovel and kill them but usually there sneaky and I only find the trails of destruction.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Never had a mouse problem until the old three valleys water reservoir was dug up for development. Last winter we kept hearing the feckers scurrying under the floorboards. Put a stop to it with poison. Still have a few in the shed but they have yet to do any damage in the garden.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Too many cats round here. We have one, next door have two, next door but one have two and a couple from over the road
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

We have a few mice, but we also have cats. We have had them in the loft over winter before, but not this year.

It is like the programme on Alaska where the re-introduction of the Wolf, led to a massive increase in Beavers and all the wildlife associated with wetlands they create. The findings were that once wolves had gone, Moose grazed out in open countryside destroying the prime Beaver sites.

I think your problem with your mice, Adam, is that as there are no predators so they can go about their chewing without fear. Also without predation the population will quickly get out of control.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I have a nuisance mole family at present!, my grass keep's giving way in place's as theres no earth underneath, also I've got some that appear through a 10inch raised bed!, i'm told they don't eat plants or root's but it's what follows behind them that's a concern. karl.
kata

Post by kata »

I have seen mice but there is a black cat hangs around, I guess it keeps the mice population down,

The mice three years ago ate fatballs stored in the smaller shed and peanuts on the feeder which was quite near the house.. :lol: The fatballs I meant to remove once the deep snow melted....the mice created nice piles of the fatballs and peanuts..amazing sight.

They do take up residence in the sheds all winter but I never see them.

icon_sunny
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

karl66 wrote:I have a nuisance mole family at present!, my grass keep's giving way in place's as theres no earth underneath, also I've got some that appear through a 10inch raised bed!, i'm told they don't eat plants or root's but it's what follows behind them that's a concern. karl.
I had a dirt pile I was keeping for spare about 2 feet tall..I decided to plant a few things in it...2 days later a mole trail..I cannot stop these things.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Soil from mole hills is meant to be good stuff to use
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Mouse traps. Peanut butter or flour. That sorts them.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I had wood mice in the house from under floor was a small gap i set a trap and caught 2 fed them to my Monitor lizard job done nice