What do you think????

B19bst

What do you think????

Post by B19bst »

Do you think this was pot bound. Haha

This was hard work. The pot it was in was in another pot and the roots have gone straight through the plastic pot it came in by around 3-4 inches. Took me , mum and dad over an hour to release it. Now in its new pot which is a lot bigger.

Question actually, will it sulk for the year now it's been repotted and any tips in which to get it started as quick as poss.
kata

Re: What do you think????

Post by kata »

I bet that breathed a sigh of relief..

Get it in the garden, :lol: I got up to now three new spears from planting mine a few weeks ago and summer has just begun. They do so much better planted.

Even the diddy ones have new spears now they are in the ground.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Personally I would loosen the roots but I should not think it would sulk because it has no root damage.
kata

Post by kata »

When I first got my big one from the growers within a few weeks I repotted it, it never sulked.

It never sulked when I planted it either...I guess they don't sulk even the small ones.

icon_sunny icon_sunny

First the pot.
spring2013.jpg
Then the garden.
wipmay2013.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Potted palms planted out tend to sulk. They do it in the UK they also do in California and many other places. I'm not sure the reason is fully understood, but temperatures in a pot in all seasons other than winter will be higher than 30cm ground temps.

Place your hand on a pot in the sun and it will be warm, to hot, and many roots including growing tips are in contact with the pot. Pot compost temp may fluctuate from 35 to 12C in summer, where as soil temps may range from 18 to 15C. I suspect that the potted palm becomes accustomed to high root temps, then goes into shock once planted out, and it will take a whole season to settle in to it's new environment.

Or another possibility is sudden drop in root temperature may fool the palm into thinking summer is over and it waits for temps to rise. After winter in spring the next year temps rise and growth starts. This may also tie in with recently planted palms being more vulnerable to cold weather than they were as potted palms before planting out.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

How many is the % of sulkers in the UK Dave?

Palms not peeps... :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:How many is the % of sulkers in the UK Dave?

Palms not peeps... :lol:
It seems widely accepted that palms, sleep, then creep, then leap, and this is not a UK thing, but palm growers in general, so a palm that explodes into growth immediately after planting is a rare exception.

Ultimately a ground grown palm will outgrow a potted palm, but don't expect much for the first year after planting. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

I wondered because mine never sulked on both counts,

Also its thrown up three new spears since I planted it mid-may. Now that could be they were old new shoots from its pot days last summer which did'nt open.

Thanks Dave!

icon_sunny
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

Thanks peeps for your comments. I already have two other palms which I planted from pots into the ground last year. One loved it straight away but my bigger one is just about starting to get taller as all the fonds grew small. I have planted the palm into alot bigger pot now so fingers crossed it carries on like it has been for a few years. Just keeps developing spears.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Dave Brown wrote:Potted palms planted out tend to sulk. They do it in the UK they also do in California and many other places. I'm not sure the reason is fully understood, but temperatures in a pot in all seasons other than winter will be higher than 30cm ground temps.

Place your hand on a pot in the sun and it will be warm, to hot, and many roots including growing tips are in contact with the pot. Pot compost temp may fluctuate from 35 to 12C in summer, where as soil temps may range from 18 to 15C. I suspect that the potted palm becomes accustomed to high root temps, then goes into shock once planted out, and it will take a whole season to settle in to it's new environment.

Or another possibility is sudden drop in root temperature may fool the palm into thinking summer is over and it waits for temps to rise. After winter in spring the next year temps rise and growth starts. This may also tie in with recently planted palms being more vulnerable to cold weather than they were as potted palms before planting out.

Moving on from what Dave said regarding soil temperature, you could try watering with warm water for a few weeks. I tried it last year, It worked for me. icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

jungle jas wrote:

Moving on from what Dave said regarding soil temperature, you could try watering with warm water for a few weeks. I tried it last year, It worked for me. icon_thumright
Tested this out with all my Trachies over the years and 25c water temperature is better than 20c, but anything higher than this is a waste of your energy bills.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I think Dave is very right about pot temperatures and ground soil temps but isn`t it also true though that when you first take a plant out of a pot ( especially one that`s become very root bound) and stick it in the ground, it might appear to be sulking above ground, but beneath the soil ( the part we never see and sometimes tend to forget about) the plants growing very happily and throwing 99% of it`s energy into root production? It`s like the roots just go ... WOW New found freedom!! Under the soil it`s going mental but all we observe is a big sulk.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Plastic pot temps can get too high and cook roots.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

GREVILLE wrote:
jungle jas wrote:

Tested this out with all my Trachies over the years and 25c water temperature is better than 20c, but anything higher than this is a waste of your energy bills.
I use bathwater so I suspect mine is a bit hotter than that, but it is recicled. icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Plastic pot temps can get too high and cook roots.
Jubs dont like high root temps and can and due die on the hot side of the pot. icon_thumright