Beschorneria Yuccoides

Tara

Re: Beschorneria Yuccoides

Post by Tara »

Hello

I bought one of these plants yesterday (I'd not heard of it before, but for £4 I thought it was worth a gamble)

Mine will live in a pot in my patio garden until I move house next year. Do they prefer full sun? and are they water thirsty?

Many thanks
Tara
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Mine is in the ground, it gets full sun and a regular 'light' sprinkle.
It's thriving, growing really well so I must be doing something right.

It's a fave of mine and has been untouched the 2 winters I've had it (lowest -7.4)

Welcome btw
derrick

Post by derrick »

I got one in sun in the ground for 2 years they seem to be hardy with a little frost damage sometimes
Attachments
DSCF3418.JPG
Tara

Post by Tara »

Great, thanks both of you.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I followed Andy's advice with mine and protected with Corrolux (corrugated clear plastic roof) last winter and it came through unscathed and has had a 6ft lipstick pink flower spike all summer. I tried to detach some pups when I planted it out last spring but only 1, the biggest rooted. Just hoping the big plant comes through again after flowering.
derrick

Post by derrick »

They have great flowers do they die after flowering and the pups carry on ?
multim

Post by multim »

Mine didokay with no damage, even potted and unprotected. I guess that it didn't get that cold last year here, but they coped with '09-'10 with no issues.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Seems to be lots of types Beschorneria mines only a single plant no pups but others have lots of pups
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

derrick wrote:Seems to be lots of types Beschorneria mines only a single plant no pups but others have lots of pups
Flowering kills the main plant, then they pup, you need to be patient though, if you only have a single specimen because the pups will take a season or two to take over.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Tara wrote:Hello

I bought one of these plants yesterday (I'd not heard of it before, but for £4 I thought it was worth a gamble)

Mine will live in a pot in my patio garden until I move house next year. Do they prefer full sun? and are they water thirsty?

Many thanks
Tara
Hi Tara.

Yours will be fine in a pot, full sun is good, too much wet, not so good, but they can cope with much more water than say, an Agave could for instance....
Snails munching on the leaves, are the worse thing that could happen to them, other than that, dead easy.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Tara wrote:Hello

Many thanks
Tara
Hi Tara.

Yours will be fine in a pot, full sun is good, too much wet, not so good, but they can cope with much more water than say, an Agave could for instance....
Snails munching on the leaves, are the worse thing that could happen to them, other than that, dead easy.
Tara

Post by Tara »

Thanks Nigel :)
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

The hybrid Beschorneria Yuccoides x Septentrionalis flowered for me this year. This has been the best allrounder... huge leaves almost to the standard of the more tender Albiflora. The stem came out electric pink which would indicate a high amount of Septentrionalis genes. A huge flower stem also
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG
Sorry for the pictures being on their side :D