Hello from Cornwall

samj

Hello from Cornwall

Post by samj »

Hello all...

I am at the beginning of building my 1st garden. I have been collecting plants for a few years now am looking forward to sharing ideas and learning from the forum..

Sam
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Hello from Cornwall

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Welcome! icon_salut
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome icon_salut
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the asylum Sam icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome to the forum sam,

*Pics* please... :lol:
samj

Post by samj »

These pictures were taken in the winter and I have now finished the boundary wall.

Maybe I should start a thread on the garden development (like Springys), but I am still a while off planting anything! I've got a lot of concreate to dig up and raised beds to build!
animation 2 (back against cordyline, telegraph centered).jpg
animation 1 stage 1 (back in courtyard corner, downlight in top right) corner.jpg
samj

Post by samj »

Here are some more up to date pictures of the progress so far (not just pictures of rubble)

It is now tidied up a bit with the 1st boundary wall is now built:
IMG_1604.JPG
My 1st raised beds planted with Cordyline Indivisa (hopefully not planted too close to the house) + T'rex
IMG_1605.JPG
multim

Post by multim »

Welcome. You have some good healthy looking Indivisa's there. If they are anything to go by you should have an amazing looking garden in no time.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome to the forum, Sam icon_cheers

Keep the pics coming - our appetites have been duly whetted icon_thumright
samj

Post by samj »

Thanks for the comments guys

I've not got much else to show yet. I just have a lot of half abandoned palms / tree ferns in pots which are desperately waiting for me to plant out once I've finished hard-scaping.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Welcome.... icon_salut
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

What tree ferns have you got?
samj

Post by samj »

Hi.. I have Dicksonia Antartica, D Fibrosa and D. Squarrosa. I think the Squarrosa will be little more than a groundcover fern as the winters keep wiping it out and it grows back as a clump! I am tempted to get some Cyatheas but I dont know if I can trust myself to look after them over the winter!
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Cyathias will I think be dependent on just how far west you are? here in Chacewater, not far enough would be the answer! although you lack the overhead tree cover for frost protection you do seem to have plenty of walls and buildings which should help.

For now I lug my cooperi in and out in a pot, but in a couple of years it will have to be planted and protected insitu
samj

Post by samj »

We live between Hayle and Helston at the highest point for miles (not protected be the sea). We do get a fair few frosts and I am hoping that the new wall will not create a frost pocket. I am going to plant some eucalyptus along it to protect the courtyard from the frost and provide some protection from the occasional north easterly winds.

My in-laws in northern Brittany have got large cooperi's and they are stunning. They have to wrap them up a lot during the winter and its slightly milder over there than here..