best tools for digging bamboo?

bonkersinbrighton

best tools for digging bamboo?

Post by bonkersinbrighton »

I broke 3 forks digging up a clients bamboo this morning :evil:

I have just ordered another one from wolf so at least it is guaranteed for ten years. icon_thumleft

Could anyone please advise me on what is the best equipment to use for this purpose in the future? If I break them at this rate I will end up making no money and will be left with no tools pretty quick. :roll:

thanks in advance icon_salut
Conifers

Re: best tools for digging bamboo?

Post by Conifers »

A heavy-duty pickaxe or mattock. The sort used for breaking up rocks.
bonkersinbrighton

OK Thanks Conifers any suggestions as to what make is light enough to be used by a small(ish) female :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Depending on access & type of boo's the 3 main tool's I use are a Newcastle spade, a long handled vertical chopper & best of all a recipicating saw with a 300mm blade, cuts through like a knife in butter!!, it all depend's on whether your removing to get rid of in which case it's easier as you can go like a bull at a gate!, if your removing to sell or grow on then it takes more time as pulling up a few inches of root will not sustain a bamboo that's a few metres tall. karl.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

An underground chainsaw................????? :oops:
bonkersinbrighton

Yes unfortunately Karl I was digging several 2 meter across clumps so she could replant at new house after she had moved. Thanks for your suggestions.
I have another lot to do later in the week and again they are wanting to relocate at least some of it rather than binning it :roll: this morning made me very pleased that I have kept all of mine in pots.
Maybe I should just charge for broken equipment on top when doing bamboo :wink:
bonkersinbrighton

Great idea huporhaha where can I get one?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Growing small clumping boo's in pots is fine but if you want stunning specimens & healthy one's then pot's are crappe! & need constant attention, watering in summer/protecting from freezing in winter. I would not recommend putting a chainsaw anywhere near the ground as it will just clog up & knacker!!, the idea with a recipicating saw is two cut around the edges, finish off with a sharp handsaw & then lever out with a trenching shovel, I've done it to lots of mine although i'm not sure how easy it would be after 10 years or more!!. karl.
bonkersinbrighton

You are right Karl you don't get nearly as nice an effect when they are in pots and the culms never seem to get as big icon_thumbdown but if it saves me the hassle when I move it may be a sacrifice worth making.
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

You want an iron grafter
All one piece, you won't break one of these
I always use one when digging up plants including bamboo
Neil
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

http://www.efcfencing.com/index.php/48- ... after.html
Here's a link to one
Springy

Post by Springy »

Neil Ziemski wrote:http://www.efcfencing.com/index.php/48- ... after.html
Here's a link to one
Yep that's the tool to use!! I use one on a daily basis at work and once you get the hang of using one, it chops through most things! icon_thumleft
bonkersinbrighton

great thanks Neil that certainly looks robust it will defiantly be on my wish list :D
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I used a spit to dig out my sassa......
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dim

Post by Dim »

a bottle of roundup

then 3 weeks later an old fashioned garden fork after you have soaked the ground with a hose