Slow down on the feed.

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Slow down on the feed.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Now is the time to slow down on any high nitrogen feed you may be giving palms.

Depending on location then stopping feeding in september ish.
Tom2006

Re: Slow down on the feed.

Post by Tom2006 »

Would you still use palm focus and booster? I was going to give mine one last feed.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I will be feeding my tree ferns tonight and next week then that's it for this year.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Have we meant to be feeding then?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Tom2006 wrote:Would you still use palm focus and booster? I was going to give mine one last feed.
I wouldn't give palm focus to palms after august up here as it will promote leafy growth that would get damaged by early harsh frosts.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Very timely Kris - I was feeding plants yesterday and was wondering when to stop. icon_cheers
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I haven't fed my palms anything but being in poor sandy soil I suppose they would benefit, is Palm Booster worth using, it's too late now to start but next year?
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Clive60 wrote:I haven't fed my palms anything but being in poor sandy soil I suppose they would benefit, is Palm Booster worth using, it's too late now to start but next year?
I bought some early this year and the growth has been markedly better on my palms and no frond spotting on new leaves but this years weather has been good, so I cannot isolate that using Palm Booster has given those results. Has not helped my almost dead Washingtonias!
Dim

Post by Dim »

its a good time to feed with fertilizers such as seaweed extract and fish hydrolosate to toughen them up for the colder months
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

what food is it that you are supposed to use about now to start toughening up cell walls?
jezza

Post by jezza »

I don't fertilise anything except the nanas.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

I don't use a high nitrogen feed on any plants and wouldn't, especially on any that keep their leaves in the winter.As much sunlight as they'll take and as little nitrogen as possible produces tougher leaves. I find huge floppy leaves are damaged by winds even in the summer. Then the winter will take its toll on them so can't see the point. Magnesium and all the trace elements are more important than loads of nitrogen. If the weather stays good I'll feed until the first week of September and maybe use seeweed extract for another week.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I was thinking only tonight on the way home, " i really havn't ferted any of my garden for months, and perhaps I should tonight" feel kind of bad for neglecting it on this aspect, last time I put some miracle grow, chicken poo down etc was start of June!

Worth ferting the banana's still, etc or too late now to bother?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Clive60 wrote:I haven't fed my palms anything but being in poor sandy soil I suppose they would benefit, is Palm Booster worth using, it's too late now to start but next year?
Keep using palm booster which isn't a feed as long as the soil is still warm, well into october and possibly early november. It doesn't promote leafy growth so not a problem.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cordyman wrote:I was thinking only tonight on the way home, " i really havn't ferted any of my garden for months, and perhaps I should tonight" feel kind of bad for neglecting it on this aspect, last time I put some miracle grow, chicken poo down etc was start of June!

Worth ferting the banana's still, etc or too late now to bother?

Feed nanas as long as they are still pushing out leaves.