Tree fern.

kata

Re: Tree fern.

Post by kata »

Thanks Jay, I am well pleased with it,

In the first quarter of the summer something took chunks out the leaves so be mindful of that. I rang Seagroves about it and he was puzzled and had not had anyone have that happen.

I will always be the first casualty in anything... :lol: :lol:

Rob, here is that Insect we could'nt think what it may be on the fern on that eaten leaf. I found this on my window this morning, exact same as on the fern.
ferninsect.jpg
ferninsect.jpg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I will look in to it, it looks a little like a grass hopper. I will find out what it is before the end of the day.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Hi Jay.

If it were me, and buyng my 1st. treefern I'd put it off until spring, unless they're on special offer, and fully fronded now, and hardened off.
Many on-line nurseries remove all the fronds anyway before delivery, and if that happens you'll have around eight months of zero photosynthesis on the naked stump or a flush of fresh vulnerable new fronds to over-winter, where as what you want is nice new ones next year, and to let somebody else worry about over-wintering it.

They are quite easy plants to look after though, and don't be put off buying one indefinately. :D
kata

Post by kata »

I left mine without feed this year, next season I will feed it.

Ferns need copius amounts of water in the crown, I give it water by the jugful several times a day as they soon dry out.

icon_cheers

That Insect is still stuck on my window Rob. :lol:
Jay71

Post by Jay71 »

Nigel Fear wrote:Hi Jay.

If it were me, and buyng my 1st. treefern I'd put it off until spring, unless they're on special offer, and fully fronded now, and hardened off.
Many on-line nurseries remove all the fronds anyway before delivery, and if that happens you'll have around eight months of zero photosynthesis on the naked stump or a flush of fresh vulnerable new fronds to over-winter, where as what you want is nice new ones next year, and to let somebody else worry about over-wintering it.

They are quite easy plants to look after though, and don't be put off buying one indefinately. :D

I can see your point Nigel but I don't think I can wait that long lol. I think il get one and keep it in the greenhouse and wrap it up until spring.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Jay71 wrote:I can see your point Nigel but I don't think I can wait that long lol. I think il get one and keep it in the greenhouse and wrap it up until spring.
Sorry, but I wouldn't buy now either. new stock will arrive in the new year, and be available for purchase from Seagrave at a greater discount than now.

They are running 25% off at present, in the past N-years (that I can remember) they have run 50% off during the Winter.

If you are buying one now make sure it arrives with the ferns on (which probably means you will have to collect it)
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Just to throw this in the mix, I purchased another three large tree fern's from seagraves last January, planted them straight out with a fleece ball in crown & no further wrapping involved!!, they are now massive healthy fern's that just wont stop flushing, I think anyone who requires the real look jungle/tropical look needs to go for it even at the risk of losing the odd plant now & then!. karl.
kata

Post by kata »

Odd plant?

Karl, If your talking Ferns as the odd plant to lose then that could be ezpensive. Mine is only small but cost me £50.00 to some, maybe even you Karl that may be something and nothing, to me and most of the UK its a lot.

Also you never said what temps you had in January where you are, all towns and cities will have different degrees. Mine is usually too wet and cold, could have even been minus so that would have killed it off.

icon_cheers
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Kata, money is money!!, there's no one more tight than me!!, tree fern's love the wet weather & there root hardy here except in freaky winter's I don't mind losing the fronds as they soon grow back, I now have seven dicksonia in my fernery area mixed with other fern species, imagine what they would look like sitting in pot's, I imagine i'm a few degree's warmer than wigan plus I've now created a mini climate for them to hopefully thrive in. karl.
kata

Post by kata »

Only two plants Karl I paid £50.00 for, Trachi and Fern,

I never spent that much before and hated parting with it lolo But glad I did now.

Show us a pic of your Fernery?

icon_sunny
SueW

Post by SueW »

I've just bought my first Dicksonia. It's from Seagrave's, 2ft stump and £44 quid. Very reasonable I thought. They've sold out but got more coming in April.

I've been wanting one for ages and it's only now that I've almost got it's raised bed ready that I decided to go for it. Underneath I want to grow hellebores and pulmonarias.
kata

Post by kata »

Great sue, enjoy which you will once the fronds come,

I wish I had the room for a Fernery Karl, it must look awesome.

icon_cheers
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Kata, as soon as I get a bit of time i'll post some fresh pic's of the garden & especially the fernery area.
kata

Post by kata »

Yes, do that Karl,

Thanks!

:mrgreen: