Raising money for charity's.

karl66

Raising money for charity's.

Post by karl66 »

Tommorow afternoon i'm off to visit a tropicalgarden about 4 miles away, I believe it's for alzheimers, admission is £3 so a good cause!. It's got me thinking whether I should do something similar next year as I've been through two serious bout's of Hodgkin's cancer & won both times!!, not sure if many on here would make the journey but it it would raise money locally?, have many/any on here done a similar thing?. karl.
Kristen

Re: Raising money for charity's.

Post by Kristen »

Friend of mine has opened his garden annually for Charity for many years. His wife raises loads of plants, and they sell teas and cakes. Some local performs Sing & Dance, and he also grows produce in his veg patch that he sells. Pretty sure, all told, it comes to about £5,000 a year. Hats off to him :)

Opening under NGS is another possibility. They will do all the publicity, you can negotiate with them how much will go to your named charities, rather than their standard ones.
kata

Post by kata »

Good on ya Karl,

Good luck if you if you go that way yourself, and gret to hear your over your own Illness'.

icon_cheers
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

One year I donated the money I would have spent on pressies to a local boy who's parents were raising money for an operation in America so the lad could walk.

Twas a hard choice, spent the money on Chinese manufactured cr*p that nobody really wants or give the money to someone who will really benefit.

Karl, good to hear you are well and doing good.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Great idea Karl. Your garden is superb so im sure people would be happy to visit and donate to charity. Nice one on beating the cancer always fills me with hope when I hear that as we all lose too many good people to cancer.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

karl66 wrote: It's got me thinking whether I should do something similar next year
Go for it Karl, you've got something very different to offer the visitors and as with any charitable cause, every pound helps.......... icon_thumleft
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Count me in Karl, and I'll donate loads of baby palms for people to purchase! Good on ya'
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Many thanks for reply's!, just got back from visiting a lovely garden of Michael king & peter bridgen's, peter is a very knowledgeable chap & even featured on gardener's world with his previous house's garden!, they go threw the national gardener's scheme. Keith i will get you a little pinny ready for when your serving tea/coffee's :lol: . karl.
dino

Post by dino »

Go for it Karl. Might be worth going down the NGS route. The promotion really helps. Some of us went to an NGS tropical garden in Kings Heath a couple of years ago and it was very busy. There were 4 neighbouring gardens taking part at the same time so might be worth doing it with some local gardeners?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

dino wrote:There were 4 neighbouring gardens taking part at the same time so might be worth doing it with some local gardeners?
I think that NGS require "enough interest for XX minutes", so combining with other gardens near by can achieve that hurdle, the other main one is "Parking for YY cars" which can no doubt be tricky for some.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Kristen wrote:the other main one is "Parking for YY cars" which can no doubt be tricky for some.
That's the hurdle that stopped me from doing it. Only enough space for 4 cars on the road & that's if the neighbours aren't in. My drive is big enough for three cars and i have two cars myself.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

jezza wrote:
Kristen wrote:the other main one is "Parking for YY cars" which can no doubt be tricky for some.
That's the hurdle that stopped me from doing it. Only enough space for 4 cars on the road & that's if the neighbours aren't in. My drive is big enough for three cars and i have two cars myself.
Interesting project to get a farmer on the outskirts to donate the use of a field, and a local bus company the transport, for a "Park and Ride" :heehee: