Anyone growing Agaves this year?

GREVILLE

Re: Anyone growing Agaves this year?

Post by GREVILLE »

]Found a pic of the little variegated americana from Spring last year

[attachment=0]GrevPlants 2012 080.JPG[/attachment

The mass of roots from the large Phoenix canariensis_CIDP growing above have really slowed down the growth. Still not much bigger this year.

Forgot the little utahensis at the top of the pic. This had been in for two winters but was lifted at the end of 2012 and has been potted this year.
Attachments
GrevPlants 2012 080.JPG
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Half Hardy wrote:I bought some parryi neomexicana seed,recently it was very cheap (less than 10p per seed) I have already got over 75% to germinate in less than 4 weeks.I can pm you the seller details if you are interested.
Yes please, thanks :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I think I'll give the seed a shot. If I get bored I'll supplement it with plants - and pretend they are the ones I grew from seed and that I have a special feeding regime I have devised 8)
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I only have one Agave, Victoria Regina, had it for about 10 years in a pot(s) but for the last five or so it has not grown at all.
I have one Aloe Arborecsens which survived -9c two winters ago and is now branching everywhere but I don't know whether it will flower, it is about a metre high.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yes i am i am growing.

Agave Mormorata
Agave Cupreata
Agave Maximiliana
Agave Palmeri
Agave Havardiana
Agave Chazaroi
Agave Gigantensis
Agave Stricta Var Rubra
Agave Nizandensis

All brought this year, and am also growing Agave Americana variegated, and Agave americana blue form, and agave parri. nearly all are small but two americanas are putting on the best height. my new ones are doing well though and all of them already need re-potting and only potted them up this year :D
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I wish i knew more about hardier types as i'd like to get a few more, perhaps stuff like montana etc. Anyway, here's a few of mine...........

agave bed i made earlier in the year............

blue americana's.........

variegata.......

Medio picta alba..........

Parryi.....

"ferocious" Salmiana ferox........

Some others dotted about.......

potted variegata...........

my biggest blue about 3ft high and mother to all my other blues

and just two of my favourites growing on in the greenhouse...

franzosini and americana "aurea"

dino

Post by dino »

Looking great Arlon icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

you really have the faux rock thing down..I need to watch your videos again and try it myself if I get to move.. link to the instructions on it please? Agaves look wonderful.

Edit found it and as soon as I find some spare foam I'm going to give it a go. looks like a perfect winter project in the shed.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Thanks Dino / Mike. icon_thumleft
miketropic wrote:you really have the faux rock thing down..I need to watch your videos again and try it myself if I get to move.. link to the instructions on it please?
I'm hoping to find time to do a vidjo of the agave and cycad raised beds soon and add it to my blog. It'll have more of a slant on me actually doing it, than just a progression of still pics and finished vid.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Some others dotted about.......
I love the way they look like they are escaping - by doing the Triffid walk !!
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Some stunning Agaves there :shock:

Re. growing from seed, it is a slow process. I started 6.5 years ago with my first Agave parryi seed in a windowsill propogator. Of the two plants I got from my first sowing, one was planted out spring 2012 but didn't make it through last winter after it's cloche was blown away!

I've since found much better results in a home made propogator with a UV light. I always sow the seed in small pots enclosed in ziplock bags. It's quite important to sterilise the pots and compost before hand because once in the bag mould and rot can be prolific.

To be honest from seed to planting out size you are looking at quite a few years. Agave (celsii) mitis grows fast and makes a 30cm plant within 2 or three years but for some of the more cold hardy species you could be in for a long wait.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Loved this thread! Great pics of everyones agaves.
I've got 2 large ones (americana and variegata). They're in large pots. Didn't think they'd survive outside through the winter.
If I decided to plant them out, would they survive and if so, would it be best to leave it until spring??? Any info would be appreciated. icon_scratch
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Mo, A. americana plain green is only hardy to around -9 if kept dry and the variegates maybe -5 or -6. if you do plant one out, create a corrolux or twin wall poly frame or at least overhead protection through the winter.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Thanks for that. I think I'll drag them in to the tunnel for the winter and plant them out in the spring. They will get a good start next year that way. I'd hate to plant them out now and lose them (although my husband would love it - he hates them)!
icon_thumleft
dino

Post by dino »

My plain Americana is in the ground which I cover in winter. My Variegata is potted and I bring in as it's too risky in these parts. Medio Picta also comes in but that's still a baby.