Unexpected Garden Birds

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Unexpected Garden Birds

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

What's a YBW?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:What's a YBW?
Go back 6 posts icon_thumright

(24 Sep 2013 20:29)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

PS for those not familiar with birder speak, 'YBW' = Yellow-browed Warbler. They breed in Siberia, and mostly spend the winter in southeast Asia, but a small (and increasing) number head west to winter in W Europe instead, passing through Britain in late September and October. They're one of the autumn 'must-sees' for lots of birders
icon_salut
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

We need more tropical birds, and perhaps build shelters for them so they can survive.

Parrots would be a good choice, they're very cheerful icon_thumleft There must be some hardier species from the mountaineous regions maybe? The volcanic parts of Costa Rica for example.
flounder

Post by flounder »

otorongo wrote:We need more tropical birds, and perhaps build shelters for them so they can survive.

Parrots would be a good choice, they're very cheerful icon_thumleft There must be some hardier species from the mountaineous regions maybe? The volcanic parts of Costa Rica for example.
Sounds an innocent enough statement, but wait until they start ousting native species. Parakeets seem to be spreading further across the country, it's only a matter of time before they get established here on the coast!
Nice to see the occasional visitor but not at the expense of our own species. It'll be the same sort of clamour about planting stuff which isn't endemic and possibly could cause problems.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Here's a tropical bird for you!

May come as a surprise, but it's closest relatives are not the chats and redstarts one might expect, but a group of tropical African species (ref: Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 57: 380–392, 2010).
Attachments
Robin.jpg
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

I’ve lived at the new house now for several weeks and moving from the city to countryside I was looking forward to seeing a much greater variation in bird life in the garden, but to be honest I’ve been a little disappointed the only birds I’ve seen so far that I haven’t seen in my city garden are Coal T*** and pheasants… well that was until yesterday when a woodpecker appeared on the peanut feeder, it appeared to be having problems extracting the peanuts so I cut an 8” log in half and drilled lots of I” holes in it, then filled the holes with peanuts and pine nuts… and he’s back again today :D

Juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker

Tony
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

It's always nice to see something different in the garden even if it is not particularly rare.
kata

Post by kata »

Too wet here Clive,

:lol:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Palmer wrote:Juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker

Tony
Almost certainly a Scandinavian bird, there's been a huge arrival of them this autumn on the east coast. The juveniles are distinguishable because they moult a couple of months later than UK resident GSW, so they are still in juvenile plumage now, whereas local juvs moulted into adult plumage a while back.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Saw this today icon_thumleft Not, alas, in my garden!
Attachments
Picture 546b.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Your area has some really nioce birds Conifers!

Thanks!

:mrgreen:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Not really my area - had to go down to foreign parts (Bishop Auckland, Co Durham) to see it :alien:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

But this nice Siberian Stonechat was here in Northumbs . . . all the way from somewhere east of the Urals icon_thumleft 8)
Attachments
Picture 598b.jpg
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Conifers wrote:
Palmer wrote:Juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker

Tony
Almost certainly a Scandinavian bird, there's been a huge arrival of them this autumn on the east coast. The juveniles are distinguishable because they moult a couple of months later than UK resident GSW, so they are still in juvenile plumage now, whereas local juvs moulted into adult plumage a while back.
Thanks for that info Conifers I’m sure your right icon_thumleft whenever I have seen GSW or LSW in East Yorkshire I have always found them to be very shy birds and difficult to get close to… unlike the GSW in my garden.