Echium, I wasn't prepared for this to grow so big...

sanatic1234

Re: Echium, I wasn't prepared for this to grow so big...

Post by sanatic1234 »

derrick wrote:I think it more 5 feet San I think I will protect this winter I have dug them up years before with no problem But last year I killed one The soil was to dry .They only take minus 5 and they go black some just don't flower or have multi growing point. I lost seven in that cold winter we had years back 2 survived all protected I hope its a mild winter . Did you get much seedlings come up in your garden this year I got more the this year than last ?
Only got the one seedling come up Derek, it was practically rooted on soil surface so i removed that and potted it up no roots snapped but it hasn't thanked me for it one bit curl over looking dead. :lol: Yes they do like water during winter if in pots but not too much only tiny amounts at a time. I use to wait till the leaves would look a bit sad then gave the water. Well done at getting the previous ones to survive Derek i have read so much online that they hate to be dug up and that it sets back flowering.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

derrick wrote:My largest is near 6 feet tall have to make my mind up dig or protect

so how tall do these get before the 2 meter flower stem protrudes out the top? :shock:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

This is my echium picture took earlier today before i staked it tonight, now it looks even taller but the stem has a bit of a bend on it :lol: same as last one then. :lol: Pretty impressed with this growth for a 7 month seedling.
Attachments
php5nwUYKPM.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

cordyman wrote:
derrick wrote:My largest is near 6 feet tall have to make my mind up dig or protect

so how tall do these get before the 2 meter flower stem protrudes out the top? :shock:
It vary's really cordy dereks is 5ft and not flowered but i think mine started to flower a round 3-4ft on my last one. but was putting on nearly 1ft every 1-2 weeks i think it was.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Look on the first page of my echium update cordy from my one that flowered it was just over 4ft when it started. http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... it=+echium
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I think Echiums are far more variable than people think. I was told they flower in their second year but that is not my experience! I purchased a 6 inch plant in spring last year, I planted it in the garden and it shot up to five and a half foot by autumn. I covered it with a 6 foot fleece bag when necessary last winter. I expected a nice big flower spike this year but instead it produced 23 side shoots!!!!!! I cut them all off leaving just the main central growing point hoping it would take off and flower, but to no avail. It grew just another 2 feet. Now at 7.5 feet I think I am going to have to put a fleece bag over it again when it freezes and hope for a mild winter. :roll: icon_thumright
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

jungle jas wrote:I think Echiums are far more variable than people think. I was told they flower in their second year but that is not my experience! I purchased a 6 inch plant in spring last year, I planted it in the garden and it shot up to five and a half foot by autumn. I covered it with a 6 foot fleece bag when necessary last winter. I expected a nice big flower spike this year but instead it produced 23 side shoots!!!!!! I cut them all off leaving just the main central growing point hoping it would take off and flower, but to no avail. It grew just another 2 feet. Now at 7.5 feet I think I am going to have to put a fleece bag over it again when it freezes and hope for a mild winter. :roll: icon_thumright
that would make me very frustrated :lol: :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234 wrote:Look on the first page of my echium update cordy from my one that flowered it was just over 4ft when it started. http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... it=+echium
thanks! i quite like the pruned trunk look, mines invading the lawn with its lower leaves at the moment!
derrick

Post by derrick »

I had the same with two of mine before Jungle once they go multi growing point don't seem to flower is it winter damage or just time run out ?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

The self sown seedling in my garden has two growth point main and one really low down but the one really low down hasn't produced a leave all growing season but the main has continued to grow. I agree they are very varied just like all plants really not all will behave in the same way.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I certainly won't get flowers on this now. Not quite sure how I'm going to protect this.]
Sept 2013 080.JPG
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

what is the natural habitat for these to profusely flower? long dry warm seasons?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

cordyman wrote:what is the natural habitat for these to profusely flower? long dry warm seasons?
They do well in Guernsey - perhaps they just need mild winters?
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

cordyman wrote:what is the natural habitat for these to profusely flower? long dry warm seasons?
I always thought they were native to the Canary island's.

I had to go around with the weed gun a few weeks ago as last years flowering produced zillions of seedlings. I've kept a dozen as i've got a cunning plan for mass planting them next year.

A pic taken this morning of two. These are about 6 weeks old from tiny pricked out seedlings and now have about a foot of "trunk"..........

sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Did yours sulk at all arlon when you lifted them? i have a self sown and i lifted it is about the same height as yours but it keeled over straight away and there not roots snapped either. I still have it its sat sulking in the pot :roll: :lol: