When to get seeds?

miketropic

When to get seeds?

Post by miketropic »

We all want seed as fresh as possible and I have a small list of seed I want to buy for next year. Usually the seed catalogs come out in Feb. over here but I just feel like ordering somthing :lol: I don't want to order to soon and get the left over of last years seed but I just got an itch to get started for next year...before we have even had a frost :lol: When does everyone start ordering seed?
tropical Tom

Re: When to get seeds?

Post by tropical Tom »

If it's Trachycarpus's, i always go for this time of year and keep 'em indoors, they'll be fine and at their freshest and it gives a bit of added interest to the winter months. Try and get your seed from someone on here and you'll know it's freshh stock!
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I would like a few 100 Trachycarpus seeds to get a good jungle goin
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I would like a few 100 Trachycarpus seeds to get a good jungle goin
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I've often wondered that too, perhaps ask the supplier if it is new season's seed, or not?

I've seen some sites, with rare seeds, where the date of seed harvest is listed (and price falls the older it gets)
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I've bought Agave and Cacti seed during Autumn/Winter the last few years. They germinate fine under normal T5 lights. I use a 125W CFL bulb in a propogator in my garage. Gives me something to do in the winter months.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

whenever I try to grow under lights they get very leggy and stretched out. I would like to get some fresh seed and have a little somthing to do in the winter months. I would ask the supplier but far to many are dishonest just to make a sale.