begonia luxurians

parkeey

begonia luxurians

Post by parkeey »

im looking to buy a begonia luxurians, pref 10 litre pot size, any websites u can recommend me? i can only find a 4 litre size .. :D
Blairs

Re: begonia luxurians

Post by Blairs »

You will struggle to get tall specimens for the simple reason that they have weak stems so are difficult to courier, even if strengthened with bamboo sticks.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

A four litre size will be good to overwinter on the dry side and just frost-free. Next year pot on to a ten litre and you will have a good sized plant (will need staking) towards the end of next season.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

buy a small one and get it going early next year,they grow pretty quick,no point spending shed loads on a plant this easy to grow.
my biggest headache is overwintering them,slightly too cold and they seem to just switch off for good here
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

kool good idea.. :D
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Think that happened to mine red last year. I was gutted i liked that plant as well. But a lot of plants i lost last year i liked a lot. :roll: :(
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

sanatic1234 wrote:Think that happened to mine red last year. I was gutted i liked that plant as well. But a lot of plants i lost last year i liked a lot. :roll: :(
i will be chopping mine up soon San,if i get lucky with the cuttings (cant see why not,quite easy) i will send you one.i dont think a bare cutting would survive the post too well but a rooted plant will as ive done it before icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I haven't bothered staking this year, I've allowed the stems to arch over and it sprout and grows upwards from each leaf axil :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Growing it au naturel sounds good to me, Dave, Have you got a pic of this luxuriating in this manner? icon_thumright
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Useful to know they are easy from cuttings. My plant will be going in the greenhouse soon and will need cutting back a bit so I will have a go at rooting some:)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

JoelR wrote:Useful to know they are easy from cuttings. My plant will be going in the greenhouse soon and will need cutting back a bit so I will have a go at rooting some:)
Not sure I would have described them as easy - either that or I went to far too much Faff to root mine!
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

I have taken two cuttings from my luxurian this year and both have taken root fairly quickly. I followed advice from the internet to use urine sample philes (little bottles) because they only hold a small amount of water.This works better because the less water used, the more likely the cutting will strike. I also sealed around the top of the phile with cling film to stop the water evaperating.
Bobs your uncle, in a couple of weeks roots appeared. icon_cheers One positive thing I noticed was how quick the young cutting grew into a small plant. I wonder if I use the same water to take more cuttings of luxurian's, would they root any quicker, seeing that there is already the plant's homones in the water? icon_scratch
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I've found them really easy, quick dip in rooting powder, then into multipurpose and away they go.
I've taken about 8 and only had the one not take.

Here they are root hardy but very slow to come back from ground level, so i rotate 2 plants which means i always get a good sized plant in the garden and a smaller one for overwintering indoors.

I bought one plant in 2011 and it grew to about 5' , i took a cutting and overwintered it in the kitchen window.
The 5' plant was overwintered in the greenhouse and died right back.

Come spring the indoor plant (cutting) is a good 2-3' tall, and once planted out after the last frost it gets to about 5-6' in a season.

The one that died back in the greenhouse only grows to about a foot, so this is forgot about all summer and then will be the one i overwinter indoors. I find they go floppy, so tall plants are a pain indoors, so rotating works well for me and if the one in the greenhouse ever fails to grow back from the roots i will simply take a new cutting from the indoor plant.

Its great that they are root hardy, but they are so slow to recover.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Didn't know they were root hardy as well. May have to root some cuttings to try :D
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

JoelR wrote:Didn't know they were root hardy as well. May have to root some cuttings to try :D
There was a thread earlier in the year and a few of us posted that ours had come back from the roots, they are very slow to grow back mine grew to about a foot, the previous season it was 5'