kata

Re: Frost - SUB ZERO 2013/14 discussion

Post by kata »

Not a sign of frost here,

8C... icon_cheers
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I've been working in Tewksbury today & the customer said they had a frost last night!, mind you this was right out in the sticks!, place called coarse green. karl.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

5.2c was the low last night, expected lower, so was happy enough. It was crystal clear too at 615am when I went to work. Much milder tonight, although cooler nights to come!
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Im surprised you recorded that high when most of Wirral and Liverpool recorded below 3-4C.

It didn't here fortunately, but it was a southwesterly breeze that kept things up here

That said, an air frost here will happen soon. Easily before mid-November I think.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

No sign of any frost, generally speaking, right into November. Could this finally be a return to the milder winters we got so use to?

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/datmdlout.aspx
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Im in nottm city and it was only 4.5 last night, into early hours. Frost was recorded however 15 miles north in Nottinghamshire.
stephenprudence

Tom, I think frost will occur sooner or later, it's unreasonable to expect we can just float on a cloud of mildness for the rest of Autumn, I don't think it's plausible, but I also don't see a freeze or anything like that.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

stephenprudence wrote:Tom, I think frost will occur sooner or later, it's unreasonable to expect we can just float on a cloud of mildness for the rest of Autumn, I don't think it's plausible, but I also don't see a freeze or anything like that.
I think it was winter 2006-7 and we had about three air frosts all winter here, and I'm talking melting by 7-8am so its certainly more than plausible, only the last 4 winters that have reminded us what winters are all about. Heres hoping that the Azores high stays firmly in place. icon_thumleft
stephenprudence

Let's hope so! The SST's should be on our side, but when that high pressure moves in, we'll see frost. I think this year we're going to see the fairly unusual situation whereby central Europe gets less frosts than us, at least in early winter, as the continental landmass is really warm for the time of year, and I think at least until late December, the British Isles will record more frosts than Germany.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

stephenprudence wrote:Let's hope so! The SST's should be on our side, but when that high pressure moves in, we'll see frost. I think this year we're going to see the fairly unusual situation whereby central Europe gets less frosts than us, at least in early winter, as the continental landmass is really warm for the time of year, and I think at least until late December, the British Isles will record more frosts than Germany.
I hope your wrong Stephen but looking at the current charts no frosts, or certainly no harsh frosts anywhere to be seen right through to the middle of November. icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Tom2006 wrote:No sign of any frost, generally speaking, right into November. Could this finally be a return to the milder winters we got so use to?

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/datmdlout.aspx
IMHO since the cool Spring left, the weather has been pretty darn excellent as a whole right through here. Less rain than average.. warmer than average, more sunlight hours than average. If i can make it to December without protecting ill be over the moon. Fully stocked garden in December will be great site lol
stephenprudence

I expect the first air frost will hit my area within the next week, even if only briefly. This is not pessimism, but a recognition of how cold our climate can be at any time of year, always good to be expectant. I feel one of the shortcomings of the models are the inability to sometimes forecast frosts at medium range, so they tend to 'pop up' out of no where. It would be nice to go frost free until December, and it may happen for some locations, but my location is not one of them... it has a tendency to get very cold early on recently (then moderate later on)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

During the mild years, it was not unusual for Bizzy Lizzies to remain in flower until christmas. This current weather simply cannot be better for a mild outlook, it doesnt get any better than this, and it sticks around.
The danger period is last week of November when traditionally the first cold spell of winter hits. Until then I think it will stay exceptionally mild.