Frost - SUB ZERO 2013/14 discussion

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Frost - SUB ZERO 2013/14 discussion

Post by Dave Brown »

sanatic1234 wrote:I got a 0c on the 9th (saturday) and I, currently have a frost now with a temperature at -1c so far.

If you have had a frost why haven't you posted it in the 'First Sub Zero Frost survey' topic ?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Because this topic is still regarding a discussion on Frost - SUB ZERO. So i posted it in here. I can post it in the other Dave not a problem. :)
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Got a low of 3.7C last night. Lowest low this month 2.8C.

Brugs in the ground are flowering away :)
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

-1c on the 10th, light frost which did little damage. icon_bigsmurf
madgav

Post by madgav »

No air frost yet, but a +1C on 10th and a few +2C's so far in November. Nothing below +4C before that.
The next week or so looks frost free now, possibly colder after that but who knows.....
So the first air frost will be 2nd half of Nov or later, I've found late Nov to be the average date over the past 20 years or so.
My record earliest air frost in that time was 20th October (2008 and one other year that I can't recall) and my record latest 28th January (2012).
Very nice +14C today, first properly mild day in November so far! 13C leaving the house at 7.20am this morning felt positively tropical!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Thursday night looking dodgy here.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Had a hard frost here last night!, I must get around to chopping back & light fleecing of some plants the wkend. karl.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

0.0 for me last night. Only just avoided air frost
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

According to this morning's BBC local forecast, it's crisp, cold, frosty, and sunny this morning.

According to my eyes, it's overcast, mild, and with 7° on the thermometer.

Wonder how they can get it so wrong??
multim

Post by multim »

Good old BBC 'best guesstimate'. The forecast for here was a low of 4c yet, and luckily I didn't believe them as temps fell to -0.06c and currently +3.6c @09.25.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I had ground frost last night in the centre of the lawn. The Brugmansia leaves are in pristine condition though, so no air frost yet :)

Was worried about Thursday night, but it's looking slightly better now... no worse than last night anyway.
There are some potentially frosty nights in the forecast early next week, and much milder after that. Hope I can get through this late November thing with fleecing, and after that the sea ice keeps us safe for the rest of the winter, or at least until mid January icon_thumleft
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Been getting 0 last few nights. Feels so cold. Ive just had to harvest the sweet corn because the plants are starting to die. :evil:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

it looks like the first widespread hard frost of the season will occur next Wednesday with the current projections (all recent ones) going for between -3 to -5C widespread over much of central and western parts. Until then many light ground frosts, and possibly air frosts. Quite a cold period coming up!
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

4.9C last night wich has been the lowest so far. Outlooks looks colder but not frosty, however going to dug some plants up tomorrow and put the first container plants into my greenhouse.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Lowest minimum of the season so far at 3.5c this morning but still no white stuff to report as yet. The courgette plants on my allotment a quarter mile from here and more than a hundred feet lower in altitude were found to be toasted, however.

My first ground frosts of the season usually appear a month either side of 15th November on average.