Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

huporhaha

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by huporhaha »

Dave Brown wrote:You won't exactly get passing trade where you are. How easy is it going to be to sell overwinter? and where darn sarf will you be hoping to go?

The rate we are going, it won't be on the market until the spring. Can't bear the thought of living in an independent Scotland........

darn sarf is really really sarfffff.

Oldest son isback in Cornwall but we've been there - done that and got the Torbay Palm.
Other son in Perth (Scotland not Aussie) - not far enough darn sarffff.
Brother on Sunshine Coast - Queensland ---- to far darn sarffff.
Daughter & husband in Christchurch (Bournemouth, not NZ) - just about right sort of darn sarffff.

But open to anything that has a bit of sea on its southern border in England......

:wink:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Dave Brown wrote:You won't exactly get passing trade where you are. How easy is it going to be to sell overwinter?
TBH, it is retirees and incomers from London and the SE who hold up the Highland property market so it might be a slow sale in winter.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Others might agree with you. Some close friends of ours had planned to return to the Highlands after more than thirty years in London. However, they got cold feet (pardon the expression!) and this week bought a house in Hastings.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I could not live in such a remote and windswept place. If the highlight of your month is a visit to the big Tesco or the Marks and Spencer food hall in Inverness then you do need to move. The Highlands, esp Inverness, seems to wash up a lot of flotsam and jetsam from around the UK who think that there is some sort of labour shortage in the Highlands and that they can get any job. The opposite is true and a lot of careers are closed cligues and that is reflected in the low wages (average is £14,700 per year).
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

I can recommend the IOW, lovely place to live (no jobs though)
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I'm not sure if Scotland is the same as Wales house market wise but I always say, put your house up for sale just before Easter and if you haven't sold it by the end of the main school holidays you've got it until next year. :lol: A very wise move getting out befor the politicians destroy a beautiful country, imo. icon_thumright Anglesey was a prime example of house prices being affected by outside influences. When Prince Willem moved there, house prices rocketed, I'm waiting to see if they drop now he has gone. icon_thumright
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Well at least we don't need to look for jobs - but the job market is dire here unless you want to work all hours in all weathers looking after a fish farm or work in a nursing home. All our offspring moved away for work.

Yes Fieldfest......IOW is lovely but property is expensive isn't it?

We do plan to downsize from seven bedrooms and three quarters of an acre of reclaimed bog but the price differential between here and Inner London is phenomenal - we could possibly buy into half a bedsit in the capital.

We really want a patch to convert into our own version of the tropics.

It is still bitterly cold here today - white stuff hasn't hardly budged at all......icy night ahead. :(
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

huporhaha wrote:Well at least we don't need to look for jobs - but the job market is dire here unless you want to work all hours in all weathers looking after a fish farm or work in a nursing home. All our offspring moved away for work.

Yes Fieldfest......IOW is lovely but property is expensive isn't it?

We do plan to downsize from seven bedrooms and three quarters of an acre of reclaimed bog but the price differential between here and Inner London is phenomenal - we could possibly buy into half a bedsit in the capital.

We really want a patch to convert into our own version of the tropics.

It is still bitterly cold here today - white stuff hasn't hardly budged at all......icy night ahead. :(
Good luck with your hoped for move :)

IOW is expensive, but so is most of the south and south east.

I am resigned to the fact that I have become an economic refugee and been priced out of most of the places that I would like to live down in England ;)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Yorkshire has been voted the 3rd best place to visit in 2014. The best countryside in the UK and all types of property at good prices. Plus you'll be in Gods own county!
Dim

Post by Dim »

if you have a few UK pounds, and want a good climate and a decent house, South Africa may be a good bet ...

here is a modern 10 bedroom, 9 bathroom house, close to the beach, on half an acre with a tropical climate ...

http://www.property24.com/for-sale/aman ... nded=false

cost is R 3 690 000 (224,517.76 GBP)

loads of people from the UK are retiring there ... the pound is very strong ...
kata

Post by kata »

Newquay is lovely Steph, it was in the summer of July, it took all night to get there but boy was it worth it.

I have to say the sun seemed to follow us no matter where we went. Newquay, the Lakes, Betws -y - Coed is in Snowdonia North Wales.

Trearddur Bay (Wales),
angleseytrearddurbay.jpg

Some fab coach trips we had.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

kata wrote:Newquay is lovely Steph, it was in the summer of July, it took all night to get there but boy was it worth it.

I have to say the sun seemed to follow us no matter where we went. Newquay, the Lakes, Betws -y - Coed is in Snowdonia North Wales.

Trearddur Bay (Wales),
angleseytrearddurbay.jpg

Some fab coach trips we had.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Not Newquay Kata - part of my other half's old patch designing roads when he worked as a civil engineer for Cornwall Highways........he used to phone me up saying he was eating his lunch on the beach or feeding his pasty to the seagulls at Padstow Harbour while I was feeling my wqay through the hill fog living on the edge of Bodmin Moor.......he won't return to Cornwall 'cos he might get roped in to do another road improvement to help the Emmetts get to the coast. Still have relatives at Tintagel and son near Trebarwith though......
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Yorkshire has been voted the 3rd best place to visit in 2014.
Only third? That must have been a bitter disappointment! :twisted: :lol:

What two places came higher?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Conifers wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Yorkshire has been voted the 3rd best place to visit in 2014.
Only third? That must have been a bitter disappointment! :twisted: :lol:

What two places came higher?

Some part of India came 1st in the lonely planet guide 2014.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Swanage, you would be fairly near Christchurch.