Tree Fern Protection

toddsbotanics

Tree Fern Protection

Post by toddsbotanics »

I have added a simple pictorial guide to wrapping tree ferns on our website. Thought it might be of use to newer members.

http://www.toddsbotanics.co.uk/c/nurser ... ection.htm

Mark @ Todd's Botanics
GoggleboxUK

Re: Tree Fern Protection

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nice guide in pictures but, as the tree ferns roots run the whole length of the trunk, shouldn't the whole trunk be protected?

I won't do anything at all with mine unless a -4 or less is forecast at which point I'll throw a duvet over the top.

For prolonged cold I'll throw a thermal blanket and a bivvi bag over the duvet and, in the instance of very low temps or ice days, I'll add a couple of 2L pop bottles of hot water between the thermal blanket and the duvet.
kata

Post by kata »

I cut my Fern leaves and did just that Todd two days ago,

Are you happy with just leaves and a fleece bag in a pot? Perhaps your putting it somewhere less cold.

I did the leaves on top after the balls of fleece in the crown.

Fleece wrapped and tied the log, twice form top to bottom.

I also fleeced the soil and held that down with large pebble around the fern.

I finished it all off with an upturned bucket on the whole Fern....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Not enough protection for tree ferns where I am.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Mine have a belt and braces job -stakes put in the soil all round the trunk and chicken wire put round them. I stuff straw all round that and the chicken wire keeps it in place all round the trunk. More straw on top plus dry fern leaves. then a bit more straw and the while lot is covered and wrapped in fleece.........and tied down with tent pegs as the wind can get rather strong in these regions.........

Dare I dig one up when we move?
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

It would be interesting to see if anyone has done any research into just how much protection layers of fleece, straw etc actually give. I did recently see it said that horticultural fleece gives 2 degrees of protection but no mention of how long.

It's been pointed out before that any layer of insulation will only delay the freezing of the plant within and of course also delay the heating up of the protected plant when the sun does come out.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Lost Dicksonia antarctica's here in 2010, mine now get cocooned as per this guide, if super harsh I reckon this would get through an 2010, if mild as per last year no bother, biggest fronds ever in Spring icon_thumleft

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =+wrapping
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

DAVIDEVANS wrote:It would be interesting to see if anyone has done any research into just how much protection layers of fleece, straw etc actually give. I did recently see it said that horticultural fleece gives 2 degrees of protection but no mention of how long.

It's been pointed out before that any layer of insulation will only delay the freezing of the plant within and of course also delay the heating up of the protected plant when the sun does come out.
Delays long enough for the temperature to increase again.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

cordyman wrote:Lost Dicksonia antarctica's here in 2010, mine now get cocooned as per this guide, if super harsh I reckon this would get through an 2010, if mild as per last year no bother, biggest fronds ever in Spring icon_thumleft

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =+wrapping
-20 in my garden add my fleece method made it one of the very few to have survived.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

What is your fleece method rob?

Re delayed reheat, black bin bag over the straw cage helps, loses the frost covering before everything around it icon_sunny
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

DAVIDEVANS wrote:... of course also delay the heating up of the protected plant when the sun does come out.
I haven been wondering about lift-off protection for that reason. Not feasible on Nanas, but I think would be on my Cycas - build a chicken wire frame over, and tight to, the plant, then a bigger outer frame of chicken wire, stuff the space between the two with straw, and cover top with plastic / fleece. Hopefully it would then lift-off as one. I suspect can be left on (in case of unexpected cold snap) but then should be lifted off after a cold night, on a > 0C day. Perhaps cover plant with a clear plastic cloche on > 0C days to help it recover? Most things will survive normal conditions, so perhaps cloche only required following extreme cold? or maybe plant would perform better the following year if it was routinely cloched after cold weather?

Or would a cloche encourage the plant into premature growth?
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

In my opinion a bag of fleece with the fronds tied down only adds about -2*c to the hardiness. In colder areas straw insulation is necessary.
kata

Post by kata »

No frost here till sunday when it will be around -5,

I believe my fern is well wrapped up but I will see come first day of spring.

icon_cheers

Spring is on Thursday, 20 March 2014; 119 days, 13 hours remain till Spring :lol: :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

kata wrote:No frost here till sunday when it will be around -5,

I believe my fern is well wrapped up but I will see come first day of spring.

icon_cheers

Spring is on Thursday, 20 March 2014; 119 days, 13 hours remain till Spring :lol: :lol:
Already waiting for spring :lol:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I think Cordyman has the correct approach. I cannot see fleece itself providing anything more than keeping frost off - so you have to build a frame around the Dicksonia antarctica to create a space between the plant and the fleece and other protection to create an insulating environment, adding straw should add to the insulation, if kept dry.

I cannot see how dumping a bag on top of the Dicksonia antarctica will protect it - esp after the first rain.