Winter like 1947 threatened ,how likely?

nicebutdim

Winter like 1947 threatened ,how likely?

Post by nicebutdim »

Just seen this in the Express and they were right last year,anyone have any knowledge on this by subscribing to something like Metcheck as that's all we need.I'd like to think its all about selling newspapers but after last year prediction not so sure
stephenprudence

Re: Winter like 1947 threatened ,how likely?

Post by stephenprudence »

No chance of anything even close to 1947/1963/1981 or even 2010.

:wink:

It will be cold though... I think if it all goes pear shaped, we'll get something like 2001 (lots of frost and ice, not much snow), or 2009 perhaps. At the moment it's looking like 2005.. lots of clear, dry weather, but without many hard frosts widespread (only relatively light frosts). Although sheltered areas (in the west) will get hard frosts.
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

stephenprudence wrote:No chance of anything even close to 1947/1963/1981 or even 2010.

It will be cold though... I think if it all goes pear shaped, we'll get something like 2001 (lots of frost and ice, not much snow), or 2009 perhaps. At the moment it's looking like 2005.. lots of clear, dry weather, but without many hard frosts widespread (only relatively light frosts). Although sheltered areas (in the west) will get hard frosts.

Relieved to see that, but wondering why you are so confident,if you are right then you've made my day
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

nicebutdim wrote:Just seen this in the Express and they were right last year,anyone have any knowledge on this by subscribing to something like Metcheck as that's all we need.I'd like to think its all about selling newspapers but after last year prediction not so sure
At end of October, according to the Daily Express, November was going to be worst in a century with heavy snow and ice.
They need to sell some more papers.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

stephenprudence wrote:No chance of anything even close to 1947/1963/1981 or even 2010.

I am not sure what it was like down south but winter 2000/01 was cold and snowy up here.

Dec 2000 was cold and snowy followed by a very cold and snowy Feb 2001 - we saw about a foot of snow and it hit -14C in Perth.

So, a repeat of that would not be welcome.
stephenprudence

2001 was often clear with sunshine and frosts, some inversion days.. not much snow, however I think the southeast of England got one or two notable snowfalls. The lowest temperature here that winter was -6C (-5.8C)
billdango

Post by billdango »

Hardly saw any snow in Southampton that winter [2000-2001]and the lowest I recorded was about -5c on one night only.

I do remember a lot of chilly wet and windy days however with a couple of severe storms.

No plants were lost in my garden so it wasn't that bad I suppose.

billdango :D
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I lost a tree fern and the spear on one of my trachies pulled in that winter, but it came back later in the summer.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

nicebutdim wrote:Just seen this in the Express and they were right last year
They were?

This year they said "Worse winter for a generation" last year it was "Worst winter for 100 years".

Why anyone wastes money buying that claptrap beats me ...

08 October 2011:

02 November 2011:

and then 14 November 2011:

April 2013 - the summer (just gone) will be the worst drought on record

Complete and utter claptrap
stephenprudence

Winter headline!.jpg
Winter headline!.jpg (49.42 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
It might be difficult to forecast the long term weather in advance, but we can with absolute certainty forecast what the Express headline is going to be :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

The Express is just a waste of paper when it continues to produce these sorts of headlines. HOWEVER, just as they can't predict this sort of winter, sadly, although extremely unlikely, no one can rule it out either. 1947 didn't really get going until January. Thankfully we have global warming due to climate change to help us out. icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

stephenprudence wrote:we can with absolute certainty forecast what the Express headline is going to be
Priceless! :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Tom2006 wrote:just as they can't predict this sort of winter, sadly, although extremely unlikely, no one can rule it out either.
The Express forecasts it every year. I think we can rule that out !!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I will invest in some more fleece.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Rob have you read the thread.?

Lol. Express forecast is worth toilet paper.