Welcome to new members

glynn

Re: Welcome to new members

Post by glynn »

Thanks folks for your words of welcome :)
Petefree; I am happy to share what little I know and also wanna learn what I don't!
ChrisG; I suppose when there are just so many exotics....especially in this part of Cornwall you get used to them and maybe the local people here want the "Cottage" or "Coastal" look...but then again they also want the "Exotic" look too!! Visitors to the area always want to take the exotics back home with them, such as those "blue spikey things!" (Echium pininana)
col

Post by col »

Thanks, Dave :)

Yes, 2.5 acres was a nightmare! I abandoned a lot of it to nature and just tended those areas I had planted trees on. I got carried away on holiday in Spain a couple of years ago and collected heaps of Pinus pinea seeds. They have a large % germination rate and no stratification required and I ended up with 130 of the little blighters all in polypots! I sold/gave away all but two, which I have planted in my new garden. They are just showing their first season of mature needles. Unfortunately, as you must already know, P.pinea looks like any other pine while young and you have to be patient before you get that fantastic canopy you see on the Costas!

Cheers, Col
Dave Brown wrote:Hi Col, Welcome to the forum 8) icon_salut

Sounds like quite a change then this year. To be quite honest 2.5 acres would frighten me :lol: I could not imagine trying to weed that. Needs a totally different gardening stategy :roll:

As you may have noticed we like lots of pics, and the before, during and after pics are more interesting particularly to those who would like to change theirs but are maybe hesitant. :D

I have pinus pinea from seed collected in the Costa Brava in the early 1970s. One of those is in my mother's garden, but I now have the offspring from those. icon_thumleft
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Hi and welcome to all the newbies feel free to join in with the madness that is :D :D and nice to see Dave P posting :D Will post some pics of my Rhopie on the main board for you Dave :D

Gary
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

Hi and welcome Ian Mc1!
Pete
darran

Post by darran »

I would also like to say a BIG hello to all the new comers over the past couple of weeks! Its always great to see new people posting icon_cheers
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Hello and a belated Welcome to Col Glynn and to ALL recently joined members :) :) :)

I am deeply ashamed that I have not been watching this thread lately :oops: :oops: :oops: it is always lovely to see new names appearing, icon_thumleft showing the increasing popularity of HTUK icon_cheers

I will remember to watch in future, I will remember .. ..... .. ...... :oops:

Cathy.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Hi all jezza here. I have always liked palms but living in a flat for 14 years i couldn't own one. 6 months ago i moved into a house with a really nice garden and treated myself to a Phoenix Canariensis Palm Tree. It is the first of many but i don't know these trees very well so will be asking a few Q's.

Anyway this is my one and only tree so far....
HPIM5012.jpg

Catch ya later. 8)
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Hi Jezza

welcome to the HTUK - I am sure you will get lots of useful advice on here. If you can make it to any of the informal meet ups we sometimes have you may get a few plants for that big empty canvas you have behind your house. :D

We are actually meeting at Kew this coming Saturday if you can make it.

Once again welcome.

John
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

Welcome, Jezza
Nice Canary Island Date Palm - there are lots of experts here who will happily answer your questions I'm sure!
Pete
jezza

Post by jezza »

Thanks for the welcomes :D The garden isn't completely a blank canvas, it is roughly 100ft long and a good half of that on one side is lined with mature fir trees.

Argh, can't do this saturday, i'm a busy boy this weekend. Shame it wasn't the following weekend :(
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Hi Jezza welcome on board icon_bigsmurf
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Welcome to HTUK Jezza, I really envy all you people with a blank canvas, planning a garden from scratch can be so much fun!

Looking forward to seeing you 'round!

Take care

Pete
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Jezza 8) and welcolme to the forum icon_salut

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP..... mmmmm..... From little acorns mighty oaks grow..... but Phoenix canariensis_CIDP does it quicker :lol: One of my favourite palms, but if you plant it out .... give it plenty of space :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Cathy »

Hi Jezza and welcome :D

I am sure that you will soon be addicted to this lark, as we all are :D and there are lots of patient and friendly people on here, ready to help us 'learners' :? all they can.

Nice Phoenix canariensis_CIDP by the way - a good start!

Cathy.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Welcome Jezza, your soon be bitten by the Tropical bug, your Phoenix canariensis_CIDP at the moment be the only thing you have but believe me you will soon increase your stock, anyway welcone to our little club, and welcome to all new comers. :D