Argos £29 greenhouse with pics

cordyman

Re: Argos £29 greenhouse with pics

Post by cordyman »

i think its all down to position, and weights, strengthening of joints with duct tape. icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Pdid, made me laugh with the comments.

:mrgreen: :lol:
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

cordyman wrote:i think its all down to position, and weights, strengthening of joints with duct tape. icon_thumleft
I really don't want to knock it,at the end of winter if it has protected your plants it is worth what you paid for it.I will repeat what i said on a similar thread on this forum.I bought a very similar one a couple of years ago.I left it up over the summer.The plastic completely disintergrated,so I guess it can't take strong uv light.I would suggest you pack it away in the spring, or re-cover the frame with polytunnel plastic or polycarbonate.
kata

Post by kata »

I just watched a programe on cooking,

They wanted Mushrooms and rice. They wanted to try to grow their own rice in England, never done before so they put up a huge poly tunnel.

Disaster struck the rice, it got a fungal desease from the mushrooms which were in the same poly tunnel.

They supported it with big stakes, maybe that would prevent Cody's tunnel lifting off in the wind.

It seemed to get pretty steamy in their tunnel maybe thats why the fungal appeared.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

The guy called his polytunnel a "bio dome" ! what a plank :D
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

you should watch the movie bio dome...hilarious..I have a similar one at the one pictured I just use it as a cold frame in the winter
kata

Post by kata »

lol B.B... :lol: :lol:

Thanks Mike..it looks great.

:lol:

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Well today will be the test, severe wind.!!!

It doesn't need staking though kata it has some serious weights at the base.
kata

Post by kata »

Good luck Cordy!

icon_cheers
greyhound

Post by greyhound »

"i think its all down to position, and weights, strengthening of joints with duct tape."

Jeez Cordy I hope that duct tape was real sticky or it was weighted down with granite slabs - today must have been the test

Having said that the winds here were upto 50 mph and gustst to 65 but still the wind did not shift the ton of dry oak leaves that had come down this morning in my kennel courtyard,presumably because it is quite sheltered ....so I guess its all about location,location,location

So has the £29 Argos greenhouse survived :?:
K9's and exotic palms not a good combo K9's 5 :exotic palms 0
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

It hasn't been windy here, GH is fine.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I got one last year .And had too take it back as some of the poles had cracks in them .I got my money back. And built me own temporary structure From a tarpaulin and timber .But if it works for some people its ok .
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Trees down, fences down, lorrys overturned, and thats just on the way home, along with lots of Hale. Worst gales i've seen here for some years, and suspect i'll see here for some time.

As for the greenhouse.................................... :shock: :shock: :shock:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I officially endorse this greenhouse, not even budged an inch in the great gale of 5th December 2013 (of neighbourhood ruined fame)

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

greyhound wrote:"i think its all down to position, and weights, strengthening of joints with duct tape."

Jeez Cordy I hope that duct tape was real sticky or it was weighted down with granite slabs - today must have been the test
:
I think its a sum of all parts, one duct tape joint wouldnt do much, but as a whole the structure becomes damn impressive icon_cheers