New Palm growth so far this year ( 2013/2014 )

Rod

New Palm growth so far this year ( 2013/2014 )

Post by Rod »

Just an update on some of my palms growth so far this growing season.

Arenga engleri - 16cm of new spear growth so far. ( This is a new planting in late August )

Brahea armata - Has openend x1 leaf & is pushing x2 spears now ( This is a new planting in September )

Brahea edulis - Has opened x2 leaves & is pushing another spear now.

Chamaedorea microspadix - Opening new leaves all over the plant.

Chamaedorea radicalis - Opening x1 leaf.

Dypsis decipiens - 45cm of new spear so far.

Phoenix loureiroi var. humilis - Already opened x2 leaves & is now producing multiple spears.

Syagrus romanzoffiana - Has pushed 35cm of spear so far.

Trachycarpus martianus var. khasia hills - Is pushing x3 spears at the moment.
Half Hardy

Re: New Palm growth so far this year ( 2013/2014 )

Post by Half Hardy »

Nice palms Rod.You have several that I am growing (only seedlings at the moment) i'm particularly interested in the d.decipens do you know what sort of low temps. it has experienced? Do you need to give any of them winter protection? Love the martianus.
Rod

Re: New Palm growth so far this year ( 2013/2014 )

Post by Rod »

Half Hardy wrote:Nice palms Rod.You have several that I am growing (only seedlings at the moment) i'm particularly interested in the d.decipens do you know what sort of low temps. it has experienced? Do you need to give any of them winter protection? Love the martianus.
Hi Half Hardy,
I only give the Dypsis decipiens Winter protection - in the way of a rain cover and if it gets cold & frosty i throw some drapes over the rain cover to keep it warm. This is to get the palm to grow quicker, without any Winter damage. When the palm gets bigger the Winter protection will be removed. That particular Palm in the photo has seen x2 Winters in my garden, but has only been exposed to temps of around -3°c to -3.5°c ( Its absolutely fine at these temps )

The Palms in pots get hauled into the garage - If it ever snows ( And that's for aesthetic reasons )