Musa Basjoo Flowering

greyhound

Musa Basjoo Flowering

Post by greyhound »

Help

I have 4 musa basjoo plants which are over 15 foot high I have removed all the leaves and brought them inside in their pots for overwintering .Unfortunately they are still putting up new leaves,not a problem ,but.... one of them has just sent out a large flower... If I cut off the flower now will I be able to stop the plant from dying and save the 15 foot stem
K9's and exotic palms not a good combo K9's 5 :exotic palms 0
multim

Re: Musa Basjoo Flowering

Post by multim »

I think that your flowering musa is going to die whether or not the flower is removed. It is the natural way of musa's for the main stem to die after flowering. You should have new youngsters emerge from the base.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The flower is the last growth you will get from that stem, but normally they grow lots of pups before getting to that stage. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by PaulPlants »

Yup, that stems a gonner! Enjoy the flowers and save the pups
greyhound

Post by greyhound »

Thanks for your replies
Unfortunately it hasn't sent up any pups yet
multim

Post by multim »

I would have left one or two in situ, that way you will be almost guaranteed to have new 'pups'/plants come early Summer. Mine have always been left as they are, stem wrapped if I want to retain the height, but usually no protection whatsoever - even after the 2010 Winter when the main trunks perished, new growth made 5 plus feet of trunk.
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Hi guys,I have two also doing this right now. Also in pots about 7 feet high,both with pups luckily! Only prob is that one of them has the pup growing right at the edge of the pot distorting the plastic as it grows! Guess IL have to repot it into an even larger one,darn it another one I'll hardly be able to move around cos of the weight! Been growing basjoos now for 3 years and these are my first nana flowers,a little growing landmark for me I believe. :-) I know it seems quite insignificant to you guys who have been growing these for years but for us that have only been into tropical for a few years its the incentive to persevere and continue with these more interesting plant species. Half my tiny garden is taken over by greenhouses now! Nige
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

"I know it seems quite insignificant to you guys who have been growing these for years but for us that have only been into tropical for a few years its the incentive to persevere and continue with these more interesting plant species."

Oh how I wish Nige. I've been trying for over 10 years to get a flower and haven't achieved it yet. One of these days..........

Congrats to you and Greyhound for getting them to flower. icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
greyhound

Post by greyhound »

This is the flower.Shame I cant remove it to save the stem
Attachments
flower.jpg
multim

Post by multim »

When I protect the stem in Winter I found that it took 3-5 years to flower.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

DiCasS wrote:
Oh how I wish Nige. I've been trying for over 10 years to get a flower and haven't achieved it yet. One of these days..........

Di
I've been growing since 1993 (20 years) and had flowers twice. One in 2006 and two this year :roll:

Here is a pic from today
Attachments
2013-12-20 13-59-58 Musa basjoo flowers.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

What's different about this year, I've heard of a few flowering and Nige's in only three years. Normally no-one mentions a flower. If I had one flower I'd be over the moon and probably call the local papers as I'm sure it would be a rarity around here. No-one seems to grow exotics - the only thing I've noticed here are Cordylines, and a Trachycarpus just down the road. :( But then I can't see back gardens.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Dave Brown wrote:
DiCasS wrote:

Di
I've been growing since 1993 (20 years) and had flowers twice. One in 2006 and two this year :roll:

Here is a pic from today
Have you got any to replace the old stems.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Looks like there's more than two stems there Rob - and nice size little fruit there as well.

Browsing today and noticed some small ones are still growing after the top leaf had decided to do an 180 degree flop from a few weeks ago.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
greyhound

Post by greyhound »

Sorry another question from a novice grower
The stem that has produced the flower has not produced any pups yet
When the stem dies following flowering should I keep the root stock in the hope that it will regrow or is the whole plant finished