Plants for THIS year.

fern Rob

Plants for THIS year.

Post by fern Rob »

Hi all,
Only a few DAYS left to this year, I was wondering what people are planning to grow next year.
An pre-orders, or orders for delivery next year?
Any plant you intend to purchase?
Any plant you intend to grow from seed?
Any feature / large garden change you plan to undertake in the new year?

In my opinion it as been a good gardening year for the exotic gardener. Hope this continues in to next year, without the wind, flooding etc.
Merry Christmas icon_bigsmurf and a happy new year icon_cheers
Rob
Last edited by fern Rob on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D

Re: Plants for next year.

Post by Adam D »

Pan Global Plants will be doing mail order this year so I will have a good look at their catalogue and probably buy something from there.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I always have to add a new species to my plant collection every year. back in 2009 I had a lobster claw flowering plant (forgotten the plants name) and I would like to re introduce it bad in to the garden, it grew to 5ft in one year and flowered but winter 2010 killed it off.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

fern Rob wrote:I always have to add a new species to my plant collection every year. back in 2009 I had a lobster claw flowering plant (forgotten the plants name) and I would like to re introduce it bad in to the garden, it grew to 5ft in one year and flowered but winter 2010 killed it off.
clianthus puniceus (albus is the white one).
Steph

Post by Steph »

Usual resolution for me... no more plants - I already have too many, too many for the space and too many to look after.
I never seem to learn though.
multim

Post by multim »

I have been thinking of getting a Chamearops 'volcano', but just as a maybe palm as I don't like the form very much and I remain sceptical as to its hardiness. There was two good sized ones at a local nursery (£280) left out through last Winter, and although the weather wasn't very cold, all the growth from the main trunk perished. A 'humilis' or cerifera' would have come through.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I'm not convinced about volcano, I have a decent size palm that's been planted out a few year's & has just stopped growing !!, it's got load's of healthy but stunted growth but wont get going again. Standard hummilis & cerifica are better buy's. I'm after some larger fatsia spider's web & polycarpa if they can be found. karl.
kata

Post by kata »

I have enough plants...I think.... :lol:

Always room for my beloved Violas, Dahlias and Begonias...oh no thats dun it.

:lol: :lol:

At least I have enough palms.

Edit; a Siki, :mrgreen: a Nana, :mrgreen: Basjoo. :mrgreen:
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Im after a new palm.
I have 2 trachycarpus fort in the ground. 2 chamerops from B&Q in pots and 1 butia erio in a pot that is going in the ground next year.
I want something different that needs no protection.

Post by derrick »

Looking for another palm Butia maybe .And a bamboo in spring time .
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

I would like musa Aeae.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Steph wrote:Usual resolution for me... no more plants - I already have too many, too many for the space and too many to look after.
I will be surprised if you don't buy another tree fern or two. :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Half Hardy wrote:
fern Rob wrote:I always have to add a new species to my plant collection every year. back in 2009 I had a lobster claw flowering plant (forgotten the plants name) and I would like to re introduce it bad in to the garden, it grew to 5ft in one year and flowered but winter 2010 killed it off.
clianthus puniceus (albus is the white one).
Just the plant. It was fantastic, I had it growing across the ground, about 2ft high and 5ft wide it looked fantastic when covered in flowers.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

rufc15lizzie wrote:Im after a new palm.
I have 2 trachycarpus fort in the ground. 2 chamerops from B&Q in pots and 1 butia erio in a pot that is going in the ground next year.
I want something different that needs no protection.
Fatsia of some description?
Steph

Post by Steph »

fern Rob wrote:
Steph wrote:Usual resolution for me... no more plants - I already have too many, too many for the space and too many to look after.
I will be surprised if you don't buy another tree fern or two. :lol:

At the moment even the thought of the sales can't tempt me, my plants are high maintenance these days and I'd like some of my time back.
I have had some serious binges the last few years.

Got my greedy eyes on a pair of boots but don't think that really counts here.