Egyptian Papyrus (cyperus papyrus)

Neil

Re: Egyptian Papyrus (cyperus papyrus)

Post by Neil »

When should you expect to see growth on Cyperus Alternifolius? I bought one last year which grew very well before dying down over winter. The clump is just dead stalks at the moment with no sign of life. Definitely adds a jungly feel to the border. Thanks, neil :D
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

It will be a while yet Neil, particularly this year, but once it starts growing it all happens reasonably quickly, then you can remove last years growth before it gets in the way.

Give it another month or two.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Cheers Nigel. neil. :D
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have a clump of variegated alternifolia here but its been reverting back big time and I took all the variegated bits off for propagation last autumn, Im hoping they get going again, the standard green form are ok.
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Nigel wrote,
This one gets pretty big, don't know the exact form, but it gets to around 7ft. tall

Does that mean you have the 'Cyperus Alternifolius' Nigel or do you have another type of cyperus? 7 foot tall is a lot taller than the 'C.Alternifolius' I have just bought. If it is the same, what are you feeding it? :shock: :lol:
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

DUR? forget what I wrote. I've just re-read the bit where you said "don't know the exact form". :oops: :oops: :|
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Eddy.
The Cyperus Alternifolius is only small, but perfectly formed.
There are a few other varieties, if you look around the Aquatics nurseries, you will often find them.
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

I'm still trying to get rid of mine after it elbowed pretty much everything else out of the way. Very difficult to keep under control down here.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I thought my Cyperus Alternifolius was toast, so dug it up and plonked it in a pot and left it to it's own devices. Today I have noticed a number of new shoots coming up icon_cheers Well pleased as I particularly love this plant. neil :D
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Mine's dead :( I left it in the pond over Winter with about four inches of ice to keep it company.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Thomas9666

Post by Thomas9666 »

I'my all means no expert here, but for some reason my Cyperus Papyrus plants have actually benefited from winter. The stalks were not all too big from spring into summer but as soon as it got cold, the stalks are all massive and it triggered them to flower. I grew mine from seed though, whereas you bought yours as plant... if I can get some good seeds I might try planting them outside just to see if Scotland is the next natural habitat of an Egyptian reed :D

The photo's pretty bad but that's my baby sitting on my windowsill
Attachments
Bad quality pic of Cyperus Papyrus
Bad quality pic of Cyperus Papyrus
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

The variety you have will survive winter it isn't the papyrus varity though as it's leaves are different not sure of its actual name